Golden Comet sneezes/heavy breathing

Eleni12

In the Brooder
May 1, 2023
North Carolina
Hi everyone, I wanted to get some opinions on my golden comet. She is almost a year old and shows no signs of sickness. I have noticed she sneezes about every other day or so.. (sounds like a dog squeaker toy) and she breathes heavy compared to the other girls. Is it just her type of breed? This has been going on for months but I honestly didn't think anything about it since she acts totally normal (eats, drinks, lays daily)

Take note of when she's sneezing - is it when she's been eating/drinking or chasing after treats? She may be eating fast or getting inhaling some food/water which will cause sneezing and/or a coughing type sound.
Do you notice this when she's dust bathing?

If you are noticing it every other day or so, then likely it's not respiratory illness, but something she's doing or environmental (dust, food inhalation, etc.).

Do check her out just to alleviate some of your concern. Look inside her beak for any signs of mucous, canker, yellow or white pasty material. Check her nostrils to make sure they are clear of anything stuck in them (food and/or debris can sometimes clog the nostrils).

Her breathing heavier than the others, hard to know why. Does she have any bloat or fluid in the abdomen below the vent between her legs?

When she does sneeze it is normally when she is running around in the yard/digging looking for bugs. She is very adventurous, I think she just eats fast.. she does not sneeze while dust bathing. I do check her beak and keep it clear of any debris. I haven't seen any fluid, thanks for the feedback!

When she does sneeze it is normally when she is running around in the yard/digging looking for bugs. She is very adventurous, I think she just eats fast.. she does not sneeze while dust bathing. I do check her beak and keep it clear of any debris. I haven't seen any fluid, thanks for the feedback!
Sounds like she may be inhaling a bit of food. I'd monitor her for a while and just see how it goes.

If you notice any changes like an increase in sneezing, coughing, mucous from the nostrils, facial swelling, bubbly eyes/eye irritation and/or lethargy, then let us know.

Back
Top Bottom