Golden Comet with trimmed beak that is uneven. Help please

Nc chickens

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 29, 2013
Hi everyone,

Well lets start from the beginning, in the spring we bought 4 different kinds of chicks in pairs. They all grew up into roosters!! So we found homes for all but one which we kept and bought a couple of Golden Comets and a Bantam. I like the Golden Comets so we bought 2 more that have there beaks trimmed. The one we are concerned about is the one that has her bill trimmed uneven, she can't really pick anything up that is on the ground. We would like to know if we can trim it so it is not uneven anymore?

We are interested to hear what can be done.

Thanks,

Scott

I don't have experience with trimmed beaks, but found a thread that has some pointers in how to go about trimming. I also would call the place where you got the bird to ask. Crossbeak birds can eat easier out of bowls with higher sides, and sometimes by wetting their food.

Hi everyone,

Well lets start from the beginning, in the spring we bought 4 different kinds of chicks in pairs. They all grew up into roosters!! So we found homes for all but one which we kept and bought a couple of Golden Comets and a Bantam. I like the Golden Comets so we bought 2 more that have there beaks trimmed. The one we are concerned about is the one that has her bill trimmed uneven, she can't really pick anything up that is on the ground. We would like to know if we can trim it so it is not uneven anymore?

We are interested to hear what can be done.

Thanks,

Scott

Scott, if you could post a pic of the chick's beak, we could have a better idea of how uneven the beak is. I always thought beak clipping was unnecessary until I had a 6 month old pullet a long time ago who became a serial pecker. I took a car cigarette lighter and tipped the point of top section of the beak. It worked great because I did it carefully. Other than that, it is not necessary except to those who choose to crowd birds which is just lazy and bad husbandry. Beak "trimming" for show is different than beak clipping done by hatcheries or by someone who doesn't know what they are doing. Here's an example of beak trimming: http://www.browneggblueegg.com/Article/TrimBeak.html

A beak has a "quick" just like a cat or dog does on their toe nails. It may take time to grow back properly. Evening it out without doing further damage may be possible. Many people trim beaks before showing birds, and use a sharp, good quality pair of cat or dog nail clippers, or even human toenail clippers, and a fine nail file. They always keep blood stop powder or corn starch close by when clipping to stop any slight bleeding to the clipped upper part of the beak.

Last edited:
I will post a picture a couple of pictures tomorrow when I have more time.

Thanks for all your help.

Back
Top Bottom