Golden Comets- How long is their lifespan and do they get along with other breeds?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by johndeerelover, Oct 28, 2013.

1. johndeerelover

johndeerelover Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2013
    Carroll County Maryland
    Was wondering how long Golden Comets lay eggs and when they start to fizzle out? How old have you kept some?

Also, do they get along well with Orpington and Plymouth Rock or is thier problems?

2. tobedeagle

tobedeagle New Egg

Oct 28, 2013
    midwest
    I can't speak to the lifespan or production life as my two are only 7 months old but I have a mixed flock with both buff orps and barred rocks and well one of my girls holds her own pretty well the other is probably near bottom of the pecking order. They are awesome egg machines though adding that boost of production right beside your heritage/dual purpose breeds. One of my Comets was laying at 14.5 weeks of age and hasn't missed a beat. My barred rocks are awesome foragers compared to the comets who prefer to hang out and the feed trough the buffs seem to get along well with all the hens. I have easter eggers also but mostly for novelty as the kids enjoy the green shelled eggs. My next flock will definitely include a few more comets and maybe some black sex links as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by