Golden Comets x Golden Comets

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by gymbeau, Nov 19, 2009.

1. gymbeau

gymbeau Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2009
    West Alabama
    While searching for sex link eggs I came across and auction for
    sex link eggs. I sent the seller a question: What breed rooster and
    hen were used for the Golden Comets?

Answer, Golden Comet and Golden Comet.

Not what I was looking for!

Just curious, what would be the result of the cross?

2. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    It would be a mixture of colours and most probbaly not Sexlinked! And their production skills might not be so good either.

3. kawonu

kawonu Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2008
    Western North Carolina
    Don't know if this helps but we have golden comet laying hens. We had a black minorca rooster that we hatched a few eggs from. 2 white and 2 black babies. one each was a pullet and one each a cockerel. So the sex linked didn't work for the second generation. Maybe for a different roo?

4. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:I agree..... [​IMG]

Chris

5. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    Quote:Well maybe I can give a little help to your question?

I've never had a GSLmale to use as a breeder but I have crossed many GSLs whith a production red roo and came up with a multitude of different colors and color combos from solid White(male and female), Red and White like the GSLs (male and female), solid Reds(male and female) some darker like the production reds and some lighter like the color of NH reds, and White/ with Barring or Columbian pattern coloring in the neck and tail.

catdaddy

6. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    I don't know if I can help much either, but I bought some birds one time and both males and females were red and white like Golden Comet hens, when I crossed, the males and females can out either red and white like the parents, or red with black repacing the white, but they were not sexlinked. Just thought I'd tell ya.

7. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    Quote:Take a look at the questions and answers section on the sex linked sticky.

Tim

8. Junkmanme

Junkmanme Chillin' With My Peeps

I crossed a Golden Comet Rooster with a Buff Orpington Hen.

4 eggs, 4 chicks, hatched by their "broody" mama Hen.

3 were pure white (with some very slight, light "specks" of black in the tail-feathers of two.
    1 was red (like a Rhode Island Red).

I haven't determined the sex of any as yet. They are now 11 weeks old.

A previous hatch of this "cross" produced a cockerel which looks exactly like a Rhode Island Red.

[​IMG]

-Junkmanme- [​IMG]

9. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    If these are from a sexlinked Golden Comet parents (White roo X Red and White hens) , please make sure you let us what you get. I am planning on a layer flock of Golden Comets/GSL hens and a GSL roo ( just because I like the color of the roos), they would mainly be for selling eating eggs but I would still like to know what I would get if I hatched them.

10. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    Quote:Take a look at the questions and answers section on the sex linked sticky.

Tim

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by