"Golden Comets"

PittyLova

Songster
Dec 29, 2017
Northern, NH
I've been pondering getting some colored layers for this year. Going back and forth between breeds, if I really want to add more on top of the rarer breeds I've added.

Then I hear it....the magical egg song. I havent seen an egg in months. Of course I run out to praise my girls. Out comes one of the Golden Comets. I peek in and lo and behold an egg! But....it can't be hers...it's a beautiful green. I think I finally figure out what my weird bantam lady is that I swore was an old english game bantam until she grew to ALMOST the size of our brown leghorns. She must be a bantam Olive Egger. Cool!

About a half hour later I hear it again. Like a little kid I run out. There's the other Golden Comet sitting on an egg and singing away. She gets up....ANOTHER green egg! What the heck?!

These girls were labeled golden comets....they look just like golden comets....but they lay green?! I'm certainly not complaining but it's just curious to me. Aren't they SUPPOSED to lay tan?

Picture of one of the eggs (which I dropped in my excitement). They other is darker green.

Attachments

• 20200305_134117.jpg
    20200305_134117.jpg
    290.6 KB · Views: 18
They lay light brown eggs but labeling can be wrong.
Do any of the hens have muffs?
The first green egg could have been left from the day before.
Nope...no muffs. If you look at a picture of a golden comet that's exactly what they both look like. The eggs were definitely new and still warm when I got them. I had looked in there just a little while before they started singing away. Even our bantam thing (lol she's weird) doesnt have any muffs or anything 💁‍♀️

These girls were labeled golden comets....they look just like golden comets....but they lay green?! I'm certainly not complaining but it's just curious to me. Aren't they SUPPOSED to lay tan?
Tan or beige. Eggs from my Golden Comets nearly 3 years ago when they were a year old. The white egg in each nest is ceramic.
20170405_091742.jpg
20170527_182849.jpg

GC

This isnt the best picture. I snapped it quick for my daughter to see who laid the 2and one

Attachments

• 20200305_133741.jpg
    20200305_133741.jpg
    826.7 KB · Views: 12

Back
Top Bottom