Golden Comets

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Blue Ridge Hillbilly, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Ritag

Ritag New Egg

Mar 8, 2012
    Liberty, NY
    Hi Newbie. I would not say they are quiet. My neighbor who is about 300 feet from my coop heard them "screaming" one morn @ 5:30 am and I don't have a roo. Turns out they were out of water but my neighbor thought an animal got in there and was killing them bc they were so loud. When I feed them or collect eggs the GC cackle quite a bit. I also have 3 White Comets and they are very quiet and calm in comparison. Hope that helps!

2. Grace-Kathy

Grace-Kathy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2012
    I'm a newbie too, I have 1 GC, 2 americauna, 1 black NJ giant, 3 unknown bantams. I wanted the bantams for their disposition. However, it is my GC that is "my girl". I am able to put my hand down and she will come walk into it for me to pick her up. She is the one I am most attached too for obvious reasons and don't find her noisy at all. Oh and I have 18 pekin duck eggs in a bator. Wish me luck! I got the feather fever!!!!

3. White Power

White Power New Egg

Mar 13, 2013
    My silies lay eggs daily like madmen !!!!

4. chick lovers

chick lovers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2013
    With my chickens.
    Are golden comets the same as red sexlinks ?

5. stepfarms

stepfarms Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2013
    Illinois
    [​IMG] my chickens (golden comets)

6. stepfarms

Mar 24, 2013
    Illinois
    [​IMG] some of my other golden comets

7. xcchickenman

xcchickenman Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2013
    I used to have two Rhode Island Reds and a few other common breeds (Barred Rock, Buff Orpington, etc.) and the RIRs were always the most impressive layers! They laid large brown eggs and continued to lay in winter even when the others slowed down. I recently bought six Golden Comet chicks, so I'm excited to see how they turn out. Does anyone have advice on how they lay vs. Rhode Island Reds?

8. TXchickmum

TXchickmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    North Texas
    I have three Golden Comets. -can't compare them to RIRs because I haven't any. -do have a Golden Laced Wyandotte, two Buff Orpingtons, and a Black Australorp. Each averages five to seven eggs per week. My Golden Comets lay every day without fail. They are fourteen months old, and haven't missed a day that I can remember since they began laying. -didn't slow down over the winter and we did not add any "supplemental light".

9. stepfarms

Mar 24, 2013
    Illinois
    I posted earlier but I just wanted to tell you that I got more information about them. They are excellent layers and lay big brown eggs everyday mine are perfect for me and my small business.

10. gibel-girls

gibel-girls Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2013
    Maine

Ours are super quiet. We live in 15k sq ft lots and most of me neighbors had to be told they were here :D

The only time I ever hear a peep out of them is when the neighbors dog is barking, 2 of them like to join in...it's cute.

We got 6 pullets and on the ride home even just a few peeps even though the poor things were crammed into s small box(7 mile ride). They are very happy and friendly girls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by