Golden Laced Cochins update

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Ellie, Apr 10, 2011.

1. Ellie

Ellie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    These are Golden Laced Cochins that I got from a breeder in California. They had advanced Cocci when I got them but are now doing well (lost one on the first day [​IMG]). Anyway, I would love to know what you think as to gender

She did not know the exact ages but this one is about 9 weeks old.

[​IMG]

These two are maybe a week or two behind the first one, respectively. They look to be about a week or two apart. But, please correct that if you think otherwise.

[​IMG]

Here are all three.

[​IMG]

The older one "acts" like a male and I sure hope he is. What do y'all think?

2. Coopa Cabana

Coopa Cabana My Coop Runneth Over . . .

Aug 30, 2009
    Colorado
    My Coop
    Ellie, Glad you got us some updated pics to look at. I hate to say this, but now I'm 99.9% sure that all three are pullets. I don't see any difference at all in their plumage/lacing pattern.

3. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    I don't know anything about plumage so far as sexing chickens, but I once had some gold laced hens and yours look like all boys to me. My girls had much more "subdued" coloring and as adults their combs/wattles were about the size of your juveniles'.

4. Coopa Cabana

Aug 30, 2009
    Colorado
    My Coop
  5. TreeHugger

TreeHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    Look like pretty little Roos to me especially at that age.

6. Coopa Cabana

Aug 30, 2009
    Colorado
    My Coop
    Pics of Pullets at the same age:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pics of Cockerel at the same age:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Ellie

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    Even if they were all roos I would love it, but the pics you posted, CC make them look like girls. I'm telling you, the older one "acts" like a roo!! [​IMG] Those do look older than mine, though.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2011
  8. okieinalaska

okieinalaska Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2009
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    From looking at all the pics I think they are all pullets too. Although your three seem to have bigger combs already??
    I got three bantam GL cochins this week from a lady off Craigslist. My three look like your three, the lady was not able to tell me if they were pullets or roos. (mine are 3 months old) I am pretty sure mine are all pullets after asking on the cochin thread but I have one (the biggest one) who I keep thinking acts very roo but I think she is just a little older and bossier than the others. Mine were born New Years Day so about 14 weeks old?

How did you realize they had Cocci and what did you do about it? I have one that has diarhea and it's poop seems much stinkier than the others I am wondering if it's Cocci. She is smaller and skinnier too. I was going to try to find some apple cider vinegar and give some yogurt. -I already tried the yogurt once and they weren't impressed at all though.

Here are mine at 14 weeks.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Coopa Cabana

Aug 30, 2009
    Colorado
    My Coop
    Most of those pics are between 8 and 10 weeks. But remember mine are Bantams, and if I remember correctly, yours are LF, so maturity rates can be slightly different. But the plumage is the same no matter bantam or LF.

And remember, if you have all females, one will usually assume the more dominant role, and act more roo-ish.

I see I'm being outvoted here, so I hope I'm wrong, because I know you want roos.

10. Ellie

Aug 10, 2007
    Redding, Ca.
    It is just so much fun to show our birds and have others comment on them. Hey, female or male, I do love those cochins. Yes, I am blessed or cursed... nearly always get girls. It is amazing really.

Okie, I nearly lost them all and it is only the fast work of BYC'ers with vital information for me that they were saved. There was blood in their poop and they were all hunched over like they were cold. I hope this helps. I gave them medication.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by