Golden Laced Wyandotte Thread!

Pics
She's nice but no, there should be no white, and a round bunny tail, not a spiky one
These are my young pullets

Last edited:
Well, I am new to chickens, (she/he is from mypetchicken) so I guess nothing is certain right? Should it not have any white? I have no plans to breed so it doesn't matter to me but I would like to know, the pictures of GLW on BYC are so varied! Not sure what the standards are, just learning!
She's just a hatchery bird, and so not technically show perfect. Most of the white will probably grow out into the proper color and she'll look a bit more 'dottey with age. She'll make a great pet.

Quick question: How old are GLWs when they start laying eggs? I have 5 that will be 6 months old Dec. 10th. I'm not in a hurry, just want to know.

Quick question: How old are GLWs when they start laying eggs? I have 5 that will be 6 months old Dec. 10th. I'm not in a hurry, just want to know.

My GLW will be 6 months in December as well and she hasn't started laying either. I'm sure it could be as early as 5 months to over a year. Each bird will be different.

My eight (hatchery) GLW's are just starting to lay at seven months old -- I got two pullet eggs yesterday. I've had them before and didn't think it took this long, but maybe it's a different line than I had before.

Kathleen

Here's my one GLW! Her name's Uhura (from Star Trek), and she's juuust shy of six weeks old. ^_^ (Have posted pics of her before in the Wyandotte thread, but under the username 'Champy89' - actually my partners account.)

I absolutely adore her and handle her and sit with her in my lap every day, but she's still kind of skittish. She always beats her 'sister' in hopping over to my lap and she's very quiet and well behaved, settles down quite nicely...but she hates actually being picked up and when I have her in my arms when taking her to/from the chick pre-coop run - she never misses an opportunity to try and escape and run around. >_< Very energetic, this one! She's also pretty flighty at the moment, really hoping she settles down as she grows older...

Thank you, GSPx2 and Freeholder. I have 3 Golden Comets I received at the same time as the GLWs (also from a hatchery) who will all be 6 months old next week. One of the GCs started laying 3 weeks ago and one last week. I had another start laying a couple of days ago and was pretty sure it was the last GC, but thought I'd check with the GLW experts. I also have two Partridge Cochins who will be 8 months old next week. I know they are late layers, though. I have to say, all ten of my chicks are hatchery born and am so pleased with them. To me, they are amazingly beautiful birds with individual characters all their own. I bought the GLWs just for their looks, but it turns out all ten are just beautiful!

She's just a hatchery bird, and so not technically show perfect.  Most of the white will probably grow out into the proper color and she'll look a bit more 'dottey with age.  She'll make a great pet.

Mine are from Cackle Hatchery. They looked very much like yours at that age, Ampho. Mostly black with little color. A couple had white tipped feathers for a while. They are nearly six months old and looking very much like I expected a GLW to look. I don't know what a show quality GLW *should* look like, and I have no plans to breed or show my hens....just enjoying hanging out with my little flock :). Here's a few pics from about 4-5 weeks old, and at about 5 months old:

They are very camera shy ....hard to get a good photo, but I think you can see how much color filled in. And they still have some growing to do!

Last edited:
She's just a hatchery bird, and so not technically show perfect.  Most of the white will probably grow out into the proper color and she'll look a bit more 'dottey with age.  She'll make a great pet.

New at this reply process, too. I hit multiple, but got just your reply, Fly SammyJ. I'll get it figured out...eventually...:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom