Golden Laced Wyandotte Thread!

Pics
I have to say that your statement about breeding Black Laced Red back into your Gold Laced because they are easily available to you makes me rather sad. That is exactly the mentality that is losing us some of the beautiful heritage breeds in their pure form. There are breeders out there with the pure lines, and I for one want to go to the work of getting those.
No need to feel sad. I thought similar to you not so long ago, but I have come to realize through reading and interacting that poultry is not really "pure bred," it is standard bred. It is quite different from mammalian species, and I am not sure I can explain it eloquently, but the birds carry a lot of genes and through selection it is possible to "get back" something (recessive or polygenic) not phenotypically expressed as long as the gene(s) is/are there. From reading about heritage breeds in particular, I learned that crossing back to a parent variety/breed is better than a complete outcross if a trait has truly been lost.

I should also mention the differences among breed, variety, strain, and line. Lines and strains can be kept pure, and there are certainly many old lines and strains that deserve to be kept pure. Both the breed and the respective varieties need people who will dedicate themselves to the preservation of lines and strains. So, I certainly wish you the best with your chosen strains/lines. May your hatch rates be high in quantity and quality!

A bit more geekiness: the gold gene and the red gene are incomplete dominants with each other, similar to the "blue" which is actually both black and splash expressed together. If one of my chick shows red, then it has the red gene and either ends up in my laying flock or as dinner. If a chick shows only gold, then it is not carrying the red gene. My one semester of genetics was a totally fascinating science elective in college, and I kept the textbook because ever since I was a kid, breeding better animals has been a dream. I geek out on the genetics portion of my chicken breeding hobby, and my birds are a sort of lab experiment in addition to the satisfaction and entertainment they provide. I do understand that few others will geek as hardcore as I do ... so I tend to try to keep that on the down-low.

All this being said, I am doing my crazy experiment for a specific goal: I want utility, dual-purpose chickens that are good for eggs, good for meat, and look good while doing it. I am also using the old SoPs and art prints as my guides, so I doubt many breeders with those old lines would be as enthusiastic about me having their birds. The most showing I'd be inclined to do is the annual county fair. I am quite happy with the black phase BLRs I am getting because her line is not as "fluffy" as many I've seen photos of, plus her line lays quite well for being so focused on the SoP. She is very encouraging of my project, too, and is happy to answer my questions and give advice.

ETA: I am also committing the heresy of using some hatchery GLWs for my project. While I am selecting them pretty carefully, there are a lot of breeders who would be horrified at the thought of crossing their birds onto hatchery stock, no matter how particular I am about selecting.

Last edited:
Golden Laced Wyandottes are stunning! There have been some BYCers who stated that they would never get Wyandottes again, but I love my three: Silver Laced, Blue Laced Red, and Golden Laced. However, only one of these has really grown attached to me, and that would be the Golden Laced girl, Kiowa. Although nearly all the other 16 week olds are undergoing a flighty phase, she is one of the few who is still friendly and always has been. Not only is she one of the most striking chickens in our flock, but she's got a personality to match. Kiowa is alone in the fact that she is the only bird who has ever crawled into my lap whenever the opportunity arose, bedded down, and begged to be stroked like a little cat. She is one in a million; words cannot express just how much I adore her, and as a result of my experience with her, I will DEFINITELY be inclined to order more next time.

-Alexandra33

No need to feel sad. I thought similar to you not so long ago, but I have come to realize through reading and interacting that poultry is not really "pure bred," it is standard bred. It is quite different from mammalian species, and I am not sure I can explain it eloquently, but the birds carry a lot of genes and through selection it is possible to "get back" something (recessive or polygenic) not phenotypically expressed as long as the gene(s) is/are there. From reading about heritage breeds in particular, I learned that crossing back to a parent variety/breed is better than a complete outcross if a trait has truly been lost.

I should also mention the differences among breed, variety, strain, and line. Lines and strains can be kept pure, and there are certainly many old lines and strains that deserve to be kept pure. Both the breed and the respective varieties need people who will dedicate themselves to the preservation of lines and strains. So, I certainly wish you the best with your chosen strains/lines. May your hatch rates be high in quantity and quality!

A bit more geekiness: the gold gene and the red gene are incomplete dominants with each other, similar to the "blue" which is actually both black and splash expressed together. If one of my chick shows red, then it has the red gene and either ends up in my laying flock or as dinner. If a chick shows only gold, then it is not carrying the red gene. My one semester of genetics was a totally fascinating science elective in college, and I kept the textbook because ever since I was a kid, breeding better animals has been a dream. I geek out on the genetics portion of my chicken breeding hobby, and my birds are a sort of lab experiment in addition to the satisfaction and entertainment they provide. I do understand that few others will geek as hardcore as I do ... so I tend to try to keep that on the down-low.

All this being said, I am doing my crazy experiment for a specific goal: I want utility, dual-purpose chickens that are good for eggs, good for meat, and look good while doing it. I am also using the old SoPs and art prints as my guides, so I doubt many breeders with those old lines would be as enthusiastic about me having their birds. The most showing I'd be inclined to do is the annual county fair. I am quite happy with the black phase BLRs I am getting because her line is not as "fluffy" as many I've seen photos of, plus her line lays quite well for being so focused on the SoP. She is very encouraging of my project, too, and is happy to answer my questions and give advice.

ETA: I am also committing the heresy of using some hatchery GLWs for my project. While I am selecting them pretty carefully, there are a lot of breeders who would be horrified at the thought of crossing their birds onto hatchery stock, no matter how particular I am about selecting.
Thanks for the reply- I hope a lot of people read it. You are the first person who could explain in detail WHY you are breeding the Black Laced Red back into the GL. And also, that you understand the dangers to the GLW if the project is not carefully monitored. You are dedicated to your project, and it will most likely have a wonderful turnout.

Thanks for the reply- I hope a lot of people read it. You are the first person who could explain in detail WHY you are breeding the Black Laced Red back into the GL. And also, that you understand the dangers to the GLW if the project is not carefully monitored. You are dedicated to your project, and it will most likely have a wonderful turnout.
I am glad my post was coherent enough. Here is my oldest rooster, and one of the black phase BLR pullets he'll be breeding with.

He was feeling oddly cooperative this morning after the brief rain and actually posed for some pics. If the pullet's wings were more relaxed, you'd see she has gold primaries which is where I have noticed the brassiness/gold leakage showing the most.

Pretty birds!
droolin.gif

Hello all! I am new to chicken keeping and I started with 5 GLW chicks who are 7 weeks old and 1 cross that is 10 days older than my GLWs. I wanted to share some pictures of them because I think they are just adorable! They have been with me for 3 days now so they are still getting used to me but there is one who will come running up to me if I sit down. I took the pictures with my phone so sorry if the quality isn't the greatest.

They are beautiful!!!! I thought that was mine. But she is a Black Laced Red Wyandotte instead of GLW. But yours look a bit lighter.

Thank you! I think they are beautiful but I am a little biased. My mom ordered them from a hatchery when it became evident that the clutch her hen laid wouldn't hatch (except for the one black chick we got) so they may not be breed standard but I think they are perfect :)

Hi everyone, just wanted some opinions on my newly acquired Gold laced Roo.. I'm guessing he's around 6 months old and is quite the character. His name is big bad Barry, please ignore the wing clipping!
[/IMG][/IMG]

Back
Top Bottom