Golden Laced Wyandotte Thread!

I have Golds & Silvers, now almost 6 months old, hitting winter. Last night was 12 degrees, high today was 38. When they say "cold hardy" does that mean really cold hardy? I don't have a chicken size door on the chicken house, just a 6 x 2 foot door. It leads to a secure 10 x 20 run with chicken wire top and it is inside another chainlink horse paddock with electric fence on the outside of that to keep coyotes etc off of it, so very secure at night. Once they were fully feathered I was leaving the chicken house door open at night, but now I've been closing it because of cold temps at night. If it's windy or snowy I would think it would be necessary for sure, but what about just a still cold night? The house is 8 x 7 feet. It is only about 5 degrees warmer in the house than outside, but because the door is a people size door I fear the drafts would be dangerous. This is my first go at raising chickens. There are 9 hens and 2 roos. Keep closing the door all winter or do any of you have really tough birds that have proved that cold hardy is really cold hardy? Thanks in advance from a newbie!

Keep the coop clean and well ventilated and they will be fine. The problems occur when a coop isn't kept clean and the ammonia smell causes respiratory issues during longer coop up winter times. I also add more shavings for them to burrow into but their feathers keep them well insulated. I had a few nights of -19 and my birds were snuggled up together but fine.

Thanks ChuskaMtns, So are your guys shut up in the coop at night or is there a door open? I clean under the roosts every other day and they have shavings on the floor. There are two large hardcloth vents at each end. I have no worries about them in there with the door closed. What I'd really like to know is if they would be too drafty if I left the person-size door open, which I did this summer, as their outdoor run is very secure. I'm closing the door every night because it's below 30, probably from now until spring. Just wondering if it's necessary. Of course I would close it if there was wind or a snow, just wondering about a clear calm night since the coop is about the same temp as outdoors every morning. If drafts are their downfall while roosting, I guess a 6'x 2' door would obviously be a draft. During the day they free range, and have just experienced their first snow!

Here's my coop & run, on the inside of a chain link horse paddock and hot wire on the outside of that. Vents are at the very top at the peak and you can see how big the door is.

Thanks ChuskaMtns, So are your guys shut up in the coop at night or is there a door open? I clean under the roosts every other day and they have shavings on the floor. There are two large hardcloth vents at each end. I have no worries about them in there with the door closed. What I'd really like to know is if they would be too drafty if I left the person-size door open, which I did this summer, as their outdoor run is very secure. I'm closing the door every night because it's below 30, probably from now until spring. Just wondering if it's necessary. Of course I would close it if there was wind or a snow, just wondering about a clear calm night since the coop is about the same temp as outdoors every morning. If drafts are their downfall while roosting, I guess a 6'x 2' door would obviously be a draft. During the day they free range, and have just experienced their first snow! Here's my coop & run, on the inside of a chain link horse paddock and hot wire on the outside of that. Vents are at the very top at the peak and you can see how big the door is.
I shut the door to prevent large drafts from chilling them too much but keep the windows (2 of them) partially open for fresh air.

Thanks ChuskaMts! I shut them up in the pen about 4:30, then go back when it's really dark between 6 and 7 and shut the door as they're all inside on the roosts by then. I guess I got lazy this summer just locking them in the pen and not having to go back & shut the coop door. Wishful thinking on my part, hoping to hear about someone with open air Wyandottes.

Oh! and I got my first egg today!!! These were hatched June 20th so I wasn't sure if they would start laying being the shortest days of the year and all.

Thanks again ~

Thanks ChuskaMts! I shut them up in the pen about 4:30, then go back when it's really dark between 6 and 7 and shut the door as they're all inside on the roosts by then. I guess I got lazy this summer just locking them in the pen and not having to go back & shut the coop door. Wishful thinking on my part, hoping to hear about someone with open air Wyandottes.

Oh! and I got my first egg today!!! These were hatched June 20th so I wasn't sure if they would start laying being the shortest days of the year and all.

Thanks again ~

Congratulations on the egg! My Wyandotte girls are currently being freeloaders with the short days and they're molting.

My little girl is 12 weeks old now!! She'll actually be 13 weeks on Wednesday. I was a little worried at first that she wouldn't have much lacing, but she's actually beginning to get some really beautiful lacing now. I just love her. I had two GLWs, but the other went missing while out free ranging a short time ago. But at least I've still got my Elena!!

Pics!!!

Wish I had a better pic of the lacing on her breast, but she's not very good at holding still for photo shoots. I'm still getting her used to me, which is hard with a BUNCH of babies!

They don't get adult lacing until after the juvenile molt, so it's a good idea to judge color and lacing after they start laying.

Okay, good to know. I think I've got a pretty good starting point for her, though. When my SLWs were this age, their lacing was not as nice, and they didn't get much more after molting, so hopefully she'll stay looking this nice.

Back
Top Bottom