Golden Phoenix - any value?

McSpin

Songster
12 Years
Jun 1, 2007
South Western NY
A friend gave me a dozen golden phoenix eggs that I popped into the bator. They are due to hatch in a couple days. I researched them a bit and see that the breed doesn't lay very many eggs (only a one star on the Henderson's chicken breed chart).

I did a search here and didn't see too many references to the breed. It seems to not be too popular. I'm guessing by the length of the tail feathers, this is an ornamental breed suitable for showing, but not much else.

I have to decide what to do with these and was wondering if anyone else had some insight on the breed.

In my opinion, value is in the eye of the beholder. I believe they are a rareish breed, but it depends on how high of quality they are, and how badly somebody wants them.

If they end up being world beaters in the show ring, they will be a lot more valuable than a poor quality member of any breed. Everything in life is relative.

Quote:
If they are world beaters in the show ring, they are going to be worth far more than any simple "laying hen," no matter how many eggs she lays or even if she is of good quality.

Quote:
I would guess that this is true. Every hen my friend has, was broody the last time I was there. The last thing I want is a broody hen, so that trait doesn't hold much value for me. Add in that they don't lay many eggs, and I'm not going to show them, and I end up with a strain I'll be passing them on to someone else.

You don't HAVE to take special care of them if you dont it just means thier tail feathers don't get as long.

Some blodlines lay more eggs than others. Thier was a someone a while back who mentiond she got one everyday.

If they don't lay well and they look OK I MIGHT
fl.gif
be interested in buying a few hens this fall.
Good Luck

Back
Top Bottom