1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

golden phoenix breed?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by oliviad51, Aug 29, 2010.

1. oliviad51

oliviad51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    North Carolina
    Hey BYCers :) I just got three golden phoenix chicks from a friend and want to know a little about them. If you have any phoenix chickens, please tell me what you like about them and dislike. I also know that their tail feathers get very long. Is there something I need to do to keep them looking pretty and undamaged?
    Please feel free to comment about your experiences with phoenix chickens. Thanks!:)

Edited for spelling

Last edited: Aug 29, 2010
  2. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

The Phoenix is bred from the Yokohama , & the tails don't get as long.

Red Shouldered Yokohamas

[​IMG]

3. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    If they are just run of the mill or hatchery stock their tales won't get that long, but decent breed stock and after say 18-20 weeks old you start feeding gamebird conditioneer of at least 28% then their tale feathers will really start to bloom and look super nice and shinney. If you can give them plenty of space and don't crowd them their feathers should do well.

AL

4. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Quote:Yeah.............. those are great for sure, good job on those.

AL

5. oliviad51

oliviad51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    North Carolina
    These are not hatchery chicks. I got them from a friend who breeds his own chickens. He hatched them from his incubatr and gave them to us. Thanks for the help!

6. GypsyChic

GypsyChic Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    MO
    Quote:Lvr97, I've had (bantam) phoenix for a couple years now. They are 'delicate looking' birds with nice long saddle streamers and gorgeous 2+ ft tails when given enough space to produce such. I have a nice variety of color in my group, and find they are just as gentle and sweet as any cochin or silkie could be. BUT, I raised all of mine by hand [​IMG] Hatchery stock may be a bit more "sensative", but I've never had any issues with my brats. They follow me around the yard peeping/chattering at my feet for treats, eat outta my hand and are really interesting and very unique birds. I'm sure that's not the answer your looking for, but I do hope it helps out some. Aubrey & Kim of BoggyBottomBantams raise a nice selection as well...You may wanna check with him. Good luck hun.

7. jarcoo0153

jarcoo0153 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Levelland, Texas
    They are a great breed! Mine is a great mother, and she wants to sit all the time. She just hatched out 3 RIR/ Naked Neck crosses.
    Always friendly too.
    [​IMG]

8. Doug the Chicken Man

Doug the Chicken Man Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    Near Ottawa, Ontario
    We have one hen that has hatched two clutches and one that is sitting on her first clutch. All is going well for her.

Here is a picture of the first one with some chicks.

[​IMG]

The roosters are getting the long feathers now.

9. fiero1967

fiero1967 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2008
    Keith
    Golden Phoenix hatching eggs for sale ANYONE????

10. Jayzandra

Jayzandra Chillin' With My Peeps

We got a golden Phoenix chick in our order from cackle last spring and she is the sweetest bird. She's always the first one to come say hi and follows us around. Looking for treats I'm sure. She lays a small caramel colored egg. She is one of my favorites because she's so sociable and curious. She definitely isn't a pushover though, she's very near the top of the pecking order. She's the only Phoenix we currently have or have ever had, so she may not be typical, but I hope she is! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by