Golden Sumatra???

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by OkieT, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Being relatively new to chicken farming, I am still in the process of trying to decide on a few breeds to raise. I love the Sumatras, but just found someone online offering hatching eggs for "rare golden Sumatras". I can't find them anywhere, although the pic they posted has the breed characteristics except for the color. Can anyone tell me; is this actually a breed of Sumatra or is this person mistaken about what they have? It was a beautiful bird, but.....
    Thanks for any info!!!

2. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Golden is not a recognized variety of the Sumatra breed. There was a thread about these awhile ago, you probably came acroos the same source. The birds pictured previously appeared to be a cross of Sumatra & some other Oriental fowl. Perhaps an early attempt to develope a new variety, but a long way from a good representation of the breed. The only recognized varieties of Sumatra are Black & Blue.

3. That's what I thought, but wanted to be sure. Usually, if I can't find any info doing a search, there is a reason![​IMG] Thank you for confirming and clarifying. It was a beautiful bird in the picture, though. Too bad.
    After going back over this site, I did find that other post. Guess I should have done that first! I just joined BYC last week and am still learning to navigate around here. I love that all you folks are so friendly and helpful.
    Thanks again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by