Goldfish sudden death & rain?

Just the mechanical filtration media. I doubt how we change the filters is the cause as we have done the filtration and water changes the same way for years...likewise we have used aquarium salt many times through the years with no ill effects.

Only thing I can think of other than an extreme fluctuation in water parameters is that goldfish who are kept in tanks tend to become stunted (because a large goldfish needs a larger body of water than 55 gallons) and being physically stunted can lead to unseen health issues, organ failure, etc... a pond-sized goldfish kept in a tank will not live to the same lifespan as one in a pond.

If you're using well water I would test your water with a water testing kit before each water change to ensure that you aren't shifting the chemical parameters too hard and that you aren't using water from an acid rain or anything to that effect.

We were going to make them an outdoor pond this summer so he would have more room. I've seen bigger fish than him in a 55 gallon tank, but yeah, we were gonna do that and also get a bigger tank for winter. Just hadn't gotten to it yet. I got the kit, I'll test the water tonight before I clean the tank, but I'm thinking ammonia level might be high anyway just from him dying in there.

Definitely don't think the salt was the direct cause of his demise. I just don't generally advise messing with water chemistry due to the occasional rapid fluctuations it can cause.It can be really hard on fish especially if they have underlying health conditions. Or at least if you do it be sure to test periodically for those rapid fluctuations.
Please let us know the results of your testing.
It's always hard to lose such a long lived pet.

Actually , it is the liquid. I just did the test (I only got the ammonia test kit because, as I said, I know our nitrate levels are high, have tested before and nitrate is always high, but I can't do much about it....and as has been said before here, I don't want to go messing with the water too much especially since it's been acceptable, apparently, for our fish, for the past several years. SOOOO... I was surprised that the ammonia level is between 0 and 0.25. It's yellow with just a slight greenish tinge. So apparently, it isn't the ammonia level that was the problem, although it could have been lower. The pet shop guy recommended putting a live lucky bamboo in the tank to control ammonia and nitrates. Is this a good idea? He says the goldfish won't eat it.

I didn't test for nitrites for the same reason. I mean I didn't even get the kit. I guess I can, but again.....do I want to go messing around with the PH of the water? No.

Back
Top Bottom