Goldie the Conqueror

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Pele, Jul 1, 2011.

1. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    On February 22nd of this year, I had decided to take the plunge and to do something I had wanted to do for years: have chickens. I had grown up on a farm with chickens, and had many fond memories of gathering eggs, carrrying around a hen almost as big as I was, and working with our roosters (though one scared the willies out of me).

After doing mounds of research, and starting on my coop two months in advance (which still didn't seem like enough time), the day had arrived, and I excitedly drove to the hatchery to pick up my carefully contemplated order of 4 red sex links, and one barred cochin. A half hour drive later saw me in the hatchery store, which was almost deafening from all the peeping of thousands upon thousands of chicks in their holding room. The lady kindly took my name and disappeared into the holding room. A moment later, she came out with my box of babies! I excitedly opened the box, and this was the adorable sight that greeted me!

[​IMG]

I was ecstatic and loved them immediately upon first sight. I did pause for a moment when I noticed one chick was slightly lighter than the rest, but shrugged and accepted the order because I was inexperienced in the breeds. Plus, who could say no to them? I cheerfully drove home with the heat on full blast, and happily endured a half hour of sweating next to a peeping box in the passenger seat.

This started a joy-filled 3 weeks of bonding with my babies, and thoroughly enjoying being a new chicken-mommy. I played with them every day, and enjoyed thier antics. I marvelled at how they grew, and treasured every moment of them cuddling down to sleep on me. One chick in particular was especially affectionate and loved the attention I showered on it: the blonde one I noticed before. I happily named her Goldilocks. She liked to ham it up with her sisters every time I went near the cage. Here they are doing exactly that; Goldielocks is on the left:

[​IMG]

2. char259

char259 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Waynesboro
    Can you type a little faster? LOL

3. Pele

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    As time went by, Goldielocks became more confident and agile. Barely a day went by without Goldielocks finding a new way to perch on me, earning the nickname "Goldie the Conquerer":

[​IMG]

Soon, however, at the 4th week, I started to notice that Goldielocks was growing a bigger comb than the rest of the chicks. I started to get a sinking feeling that I had accidentally gotten a rooster in my order. I had specifically picked chickens that could be sexed at birth, because I knew I would get too attached to easily trust another person enough to give away my babies to.

Thus started a week long emotional rollercoaster of watching Goldie closely for any possible signs of male-ness, and combing the BYC forums feverishly. After posting my baby in the "what gender is this?" forum, I had my doom-filled answer: Goldielocks was actually a Goldbert. I was devistated. It felt silly to be so upset over a chicken, but Goldbert had given us so much joy, and all I could give him in return was being turned over to a stranger that would probably eat him. He wasn't a fancy breed, or even guarenteed to be a pretty bird. And I absolutely couldn't keep him where I lived; it was against the law. He didn't deserve a life of being cooped up in a dog kennel to try to keep him from crowing.

I kept Goldbert for another week just to make certain, and the day he crowed was the saddest in my life.

After moping around for a few hours, I made an important decision: I was going to find him a good home come heck or high water, dangit!

to be cont....

Last edited: Jul 1, 2011
  4. KDailey

KDailey Crazy Cochin Lady

Jun 27, 2011
    Bronson, Tx
    Awww I'm so sorry! I had one black silkie chick in my first 6 chicks I got sunday and it was my favorite chick. Just two days later it died. I was so upset! At least you're little Goldbert is still alive and well.

5. Pele

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    And so began my quest to find my little Goldbert a good home. At the suggestion of a friend, I posted an ad for him on Craigslist. It was a very basic one, and just offered him for free to a good home. I immediately received two responses to my ad.

The first response that I received was from a man who asked how big Goldbert would get, and if he liked to fight. I was appalled at this thinly veiled attempt by a criminal to acquire my Goldbert for cock-fighting.

The second response that I received was from an individual who wanted to know if he was a purebreed rooster. I kindly explained that he was a hybrid and would not breed true. They respectfully declined to take him, much to my disappointment. But I was glad that I had been honest so they wouldn't have to get rid of him later.

I did not receive any responses from that point on, and once again I was afraid that Goldbert would have no home. Determined not to fail him, I went back to the drawing-board mentally. After a while I realized that my previous ad had not captured his personality, and had not conveyed that he was the sociable and wonderful cockerel that he was. I was certain that Goldbert just needed a chance to conquer another family's heart. I decided to re-write the ad into something eyecatching and amusing, and this is what I ended up posting:

"I am a hybrid 6 week old rooster looking for a bevy of fine young hens to romance and protect.

My interests include:

long walks in the yard
    fine dining
    keeping a good appearance (I am a city man after all)
    dancing/strutting (very into the arts)
    singing

Please give me a try ladies, I promise not to disappoint. My mother would love to keep me, but I find her house in the city to be too stifling for a manly shooting star such as myself. I may look a little ragged now, but I should finish coloring into a soft white body with a beautiful gold to champagne colored saddle and hackles.

Don’t I sound handsome?"

Within an hour, I had multiple posts inquiring on Goldbert. Some were just letting me know that they had enjoyed my ad, and some were responding with interest in Goldbert! I was deeply relieved and happy. Now all I had to do was to wade through the responses, ask probing questions, and find someone who would give him a happy home.

After many e-mails were exchanged, I ended up deciding to give Goldbert to a very nice-sounding lady named 'Kathy' who lived about 30 miles from me in the countryside. She had told me that she had a rooster that turned aggressive on her children, and was looking for a replacement that was calm and non-aggressive. Kathy was very appreciative of the fact that Goldbert was hand-raised, and was a perfect gentleman to his flock.

We arranged for Kathy to come over to my house the following Sunday to pick him up. And so I waited in worried anticipation, praying that a normal and sane person showed up to take my Goldbert to his new home....

to be cont....

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
  6. 1Rooster

1Rooster Out Of The Brooder

hope this had a happy ending please let us all know

7. ChicksterJo

ChicksterJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Grounded on Earth
    I hope Goldbert finds a nice home. I am rehoming my Ameraucana roo, the sweetest little roo I have ever had the pleasure of raising and knowing, and I hate to do it, but at least I believe he will be going to a good home. Good luck and I look forward to seeing how your story goes...

8. Pele

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Thanks everyone! Sorry about the slow updates, I was very busy this weekend getting fat at barbeques.

Happy belated 4th of July to the American BYCers out there!

9. KDailey

KDailey Crazy Cochin Lady

Jun 27, 2011
    Bronson, Tx
    awww what a great idea for the ad!

10. Pele

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    After a few days of agonized waiting, and listening to Goldbert's pathetic first attempts at crowing (he sounded like a really old man coughing), it was finally the day I would meet Goldbert's new owner.

I spent a few last moments with him, letting him perch on me like he loved to do, showing everyone how pretty he is. Then he and the others went outside in a wire guinea pig cage to enjoy the spring sun while my DH and I worked diligently on the coop. Here is a picture of it's skeleton at the time, it wasn't much to look at yet!

[​IMG]

We were hard at work while the babies worked hard at sunning thier little wings, when all the sudden I hear our door buzzer. It was finally time *gulp*.

I steeled myself for the worst, and prayed for the best as I answered the door. To my pleasant surprise, I came face to face with a very excited looking tow-headed 10 year old boy who was clutching a dog-carrier. Behind him stood a very nice looking man and woman who were all smiles. Here was the lady I was dreading meeting? I felt deeply silly and invited them all to come into the backyard to retrieve Goldbert.

Kathy and her family admired the coop, and we chatted for a while. The more I spoke with her and her husband, the more comfortable I became with the idea that they were taking my little Goldbert. When it came time for them to see him, it was clear that Goldbert had conquered yet again; I have never seen a little boy as happy as theirs was. His face was practically shining as my little rooster allowed himself to be held and petted.

Of course, it wouldn't be Goldie the Conquerer if he hadn't managed to climb atop the boy's head. [​IMG]

After getting Goldbert into the carrier, the family was all set to leave, when all the sudden a very strangled sound came from the guinea pig cage on the grass. I was shocked, and turned to look: Soot, my little barred cochin, had timed his first crow perfectly.

Soot defending us all from a vicious pillow tassel:

[​IMG]

to be cont...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by