Goldie the Conqueror

I loved your story & glad that Goldbert found a happy home. Now what about little Soot???
wink.png

Thanks everyone for the support! I figured since the story of my birds warmed my heart so much, that I'd share and hopefully warm others
smile.png

So there everyone was in my back yard, staring in shock at Soot, who seemed unconcerned with the chaos that he'd just created. He just fluffed himself importantly and looked proud about his first crow (which sounded like a bad car motor that failed to turn over when started).

After a moment, I collected myself enough to look over at Kathy and her family, and ask them: "Um.... do you have room for two roosters?" Kathy found all of this to be very funny, and good-naturedly agreed as the roosters had been raised together, and got along well. So into the crate Soot went with Golbert. If I had thought her son was glowing with happiness before, it was nothing compared to the smile was wearing now. He was getting two roosters today! At least my difficult and heartbreaking decision led to what would probably be a lasting happy memory in his life.

After a few more pleasantries, Kathy and her family left to go home. I did my best to buck up, and suggested to my DH that we quit working on the coop early that night, and just do something we enjoyed together. Bless his heart, he agreed and handled my blues about a couple of chickens with grace.

Two weeks sped by, thanks to the aforementioned coop, and our race to complete it before my girls got too big for their brooder. By this time, I had decided that all of my plans had revolved around having 5 birds, and with the unexpected development of two roosters, 3 was just not going to be enough. I called the hatchery, and explained that one of my 'guarenteed females' had turned into a male, and that I was hoping they'd give me a replacement. The hatchery graciously agreed, and suggested that I get another additional bird so that my replacement didn't have to be raised alone.

Well gosh, if they insist...

And so, two days later, I went home with this lapfull of cuties:

80950_youngiti.jpg

The gold one is the replacement Gold Comet, and the dark one is an Easter Egger. I named them Ophelia and Iti, and immediately fell in love with them as well. Almost immediately, it became apparent that I am a magnet for mischevious birds that like to sit on everything. Iti's solution to any situation was to 'sit on it!". She applied this theory effectively, as you can see:
80950_itihelping.jpg

My heart eased by these two adorable girls, life settled into the familiar rythm of working furiously on the coop, and cuddling baby chickens.

to be cont....
And don't think you've heard the last of the boys!
smile.png

Your new babies are adorable, and as I can see, they are already spoiled. You bad Mommy you!
wink.png

Can't wait to read the latest on your babies, and your boys, because they will always be your boys. Am so happy they will be together, and will be well loved at their new home.

Thank you for your kind words everyone
smile.png

And yes, I'm fairly terrible at not spoiling my chickens. They have their very own yogurt in the fridge that no one in the house is allowed to have
tongue.png

Another update to come soon!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom