Golf Ball Removal

I used golf balls in the nest until the girls started to toss them out, and I got tired of picking them up. I'm sure the chickens were very entertained.
tongue2.gif

I leave mine there, I figure the hens mind less when I remove the eggs since they still feel something under them. Also maybe they want to practice their putting.

Quote:
Ha!!

Hubby is a golf course superintendent and he has brought me home all of the taupe, light green, light blue, pink and salmon eggs from the course, so I even get the right colors for each breed. Occasionally they have something weird on them, like a Spongebob Squarepants or Ford symbol.

I don't get out much either...
hide.gif

Quote:
I thought if they disappeared it meant a snake ate them.....so how do they re-appear?

Quote:
Thank you! I thought I was the only one who did this. Here it is a wooden egg that gets swapped between two nest boxes. Interestingly enough, both nest boxes are used, although one seems more popular.

Quote:
I thought if they disappeared it meant a snake ate them.....so how do they re-appear?

I've had that happen a couple of times when the golf ball re-appeared a day or two later. I'd felt through the bedding so I know it wasn't buried in there. I just look at it as one of life's mysteries. Ay least it did not re-appear in a nest that already had another golf ball.

I've also read people on here that snakes won't swallow golf balls. Tell that to the snakes that have swallowed them and could not get back out the hole they came in. I recovered the same two golf balls from two different snakes within one week this past summer.

I've had a hen scratch a golf ball out of the nest onto the floor of the coop and hens start laying next to that golf ball instead of in the nest. I'm convinced that the golf balls or other fake eggs help.

I have milk crates wired side by side as nesting boxes. They have various holes in the sides. I have had hens reach through to the next box, and roll the golf ball over into the favorite nest with their beak.

I used ping pong balls and I left them in the coop, but put them in a corner in case I needed them in the future. The girls still lay in the box, but someone in the coop likes to get the ping pong balls out of the corner and move them around. Me thinks they are messing with me! Or playing soccer late at night. My RIR will lay her eggs on the ping pong balls if she can get them out of the corner. Chickens have been my entertainment, as I don't get out much either...
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom