Golf Ball sized meat hanging from Pullets backside

Billy Mahone

Songster
Oct 15, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Hi,
I'm hoping for some help please.
One of my gold laced pullets who is aged roughly 6 months has an injury.
I noticed a few days ago she looked abit uncomfortable like when someones constipated.
I took the first first below and didn't think much of it.
Yesterday, i saw her standing weird and when she turned around, there was a massive ball hanging from her backside.
I initially thought it was an egg as she still hasn't started laying so i thought maybe an egg got stuck?
Upon closer inspection, it doesn't look like an egg, more like her insides are hanging out....

I''ve had a horrible time with my chickens getting sick lately and dying on me, I've lost alot of chickens but this issue is new to me.
The few that i have left, I'm trying to get them better before giving them away, i don't think i can handle anymore deaths so I'm done.

Anyways, can someone please advise what could of caused this and how to treat it?
First pic is 2 days ago, last 2 pics are now.

20220103_105303.jpg
20220107_184324.jpg
20220107_205608.jpg

Thank you.

She has a prolapsed vent, I would assume by the shape of it, it may also have an egg inside the tissue.
Bring her in, clean it up and feel of it, see if there's an egg.
That exposed tissue is needs to be kept moist so it doesn't dry out. You can use anti-inflammatory cream, honey, prep h, whatever you have on hand to keep it moist.
It may be dried out by now, hopefully not. You will be able to tell more once you have her gathered up and examine it.

Here's a good article to start with. Do watch the video and see if this looks like what you see once you get her cleaned up.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ng-from-vent-prolapse-oh-my-what-to-do.76124/

She has a prolapsed vent, I would assume by the shape of it, it may also have an egg inside the tissue.
Bring her in, clean it up and feel of it, see if there's an egg.
That exposed tissue is needs to be kept moist so it doesn't dry out. You can use anti-inflammatory cream, honey, prep h, whatever you have on hand to keep it moist.
It may be dried out by now, hopefully not. You will be able to tell more once you have her gathered up and examine it.

Here's a good article to start with. Do watch the video and see if this looks like what you see once you get her cleaned up.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ng-from-vent-prolapse-oh-my-what-to-do.76124/
Thank you my friend, your post helped alot.
So it turned out to be an egg after all....
I just hope that her skin/meat thats hanging out goes back inside as i tried to push it in a few times but didn't work.
Heres photos of the egg and afterwards of her, looks abit of a mess.
I don't think I'll ever become a surgeon lolz
20220108_161951.jpg
20220108_161751.jpg

Coat the tissue with honey if you have it, that will help with swelling and keep it moist. The tissue must be kept moist or it will dry out and die and the bird may also. Sometimes with a prolapse you have to push it in and hold it for a while until it stays in. And you may have to do that repeatedly until it will stay in. Some will make a sling to help hold it in longer. The important thing is to not let it dry out. Another link here:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/prolapse-vent-causes-treatment-graphic/

Glad you were able to get the egg out.
I agree, keep it coated so it doesn't dry out. You may want to bring her in or place her where flies can't get on the tissue and so the tissue doesn't get pecked by other hens.
Hopefully the swelling will go down so you can push it back in.

I would keep her hydrated. Give her 1 Caltrate (Calcium supplement with D3) daily to help with contractions and retention. Do keep watch on her, just because the tissue is prolapsed doesn't mean another egg might be on the way, she will have a difficult time laying if the tissue is still out.

Back
Top Bottom