Golf ball sized tumor on 10 year old Polish

NicInNC

Crowing
15 Years
Jun 23, 2008
North Carolina
My 10 year old Polish hen has been slowing down the past few months. I attributed it to old age. A few days ago I was sure she was dying. She would just lay in the grass and not move. When she stands her head slowly starts to droop and she looks like she will fall forward but she always stops herself from falling. Her poop has been completely normal but yesterday I decided to check her over real well and was shocked to feel this huge lump. I brought her in this morning and soaked her in warm water so I could clean her up before inspecting her better.
The large lump is hard as a rock up under her skin near her inner thigh. She also has more in various places on her body that are about pea sized.
Any ideas as to what it could be?
[/IMG][/IMG]

10 years old! You have taken good care of her
smile.png

I wish I had better answers, but the only thing that comes to mind would be feather cyst (ingrown feathers).

Her droopiness is more concerning. That could be from a number of things - her age, dehydration, not absorbing nutrients when she eats, etc.
If you have them, offer her some poultry vitamins and some extra protein like egg or tuna in addition to her normal feed.

Keep us posted.

10 years old!  You have taken good care of her:)

I wish I had better answers, but the only thing that comes to mind would be feather cyst (ingrown feathers). 

Her droopiness is more concerning. That could be from a number of things - her age, dehydration, not absorbing nutrients when she eats, etc.
If you have them, offer her some poultry vitamins and some extra protein like egg or tuna in addition to her normal feed. 

Keep us posted.

Thanks Wyorp. I actually kept her inside last night in a dog crate. Tried to feed her oatmeal and yogurt but she wanted no part of it. I know she's old and probably will soon die but I just wish I knew whether or not those lumps were hurting her. She hasn't eaten much in months. Just kind of picks at her food occasionally. The other lumps have no feathers anywhere near them.
I'll try giving her some egg tomorrow. Unfortunately I didn't get to spend much time with her today because I'm sick with the flu and possible pneumonia now.
1f622.png

Once she does pass definitely send her out for a necropsy so you can find out what they were. But for now maybe take her to a vet? If not just plenty of fluids and make sure she's comfortable

Thanks Wyorp. I actually kept her inside last night in a dog crate. Tried to feed her oatmeal and yogurt but she wanted no part of it. I know she's old and probably will soon die but I just wish I knew whether or not those lumps were hurting her. She hasn't eaten much in months. Just kind of picks at her food occasionally. The other lumps have no feathers anywhere near them.
I'll try giving her some egg tomorrow. Unfortunately I didn't get to spend much time with her today because I'm sick with the flu and possible pneumonia now.
1f622.png
I'm sorry to hear your not feeling well.
hugs.gif

Keeping her in so you can try to encourage her to eat/drink is a good idea. Chickens are very good at hiding declining health, so her not eating much in months would be an indication that she is slowing down.

Last edited:
My girl is still hanging on but she's definitely deteriorating. Honestly, I'm shocked she's still alive. She just stands or lays in one spot. When she walks she walks extremely slow and she also seems confused.
1f622.png

My girl is blind now.
1f622.png
She walks right into the feeder, water, walls, etc. She is still managing to eat and drink a tiny bit. It takes her a while to find it though and she mainly just lays around. When she stands still, her head slowly goes to one side constantly. I wondered about Mareks but at her age it would be anything. I'll only I knew whether or not she was in pain.

Back
Top Bottom