Golf ball trick

andysgirl

In the Brooder
Jul 8, 2016
Hello~ has anyone ever used something else besides golf balls or ceramic eggs for the first time laying trick? My girls are soon to be old enough and id like to introduce something to get them thinking about laying. Don't hav any golf balls. Checked Walmart and I don't want that many golf balls for $10!! Any body hav a cheap-out idea for me?

You might not be able to find them this time of year, but you can buy a pack of plastic Easter eggs for $1. Go to a craft store, and see what you find. You could blow out an egg from the fridge and fill it with plaster of paris or cement, or maybe even put several layers of melted paraffin in it.

Last edited:
Similar sized rocks, plastic easter eggs ping pong balls although they would need to be weighed down some how.

Chickens do not really need fake eggs to encourage them to use the nest boxes....This might cause a debate but in my circle of Chicken friends and family, it will only cause the hens to peck at the real eggs once they lay them....The fake eggs are an old gimmick....Have no worries. They will use the boxes.

I often see golf balls and plastic easter eggs at thrift stores and sometimes at garage sales as well.

Hello~ has anyone ever used something else besides golf balls or ceramic eggs for the first time laying trick? My girls are soon to be old enough and id like to introduce something to get them thinking about laying. Don't hav any golf balls. Checked Walmart and I don't want that many golf balls for $10!! Any body hav a cheap-out idea for me?
Is there a driving range near you? Could probably get a handful cheap there.....but yeah the right sized rocks would work too.
Read of some using a pvc elbow fitting partially buried in bedding..haha!

Quote:
Not true..at....all.

2 points , I've been using golf balls for years and never seen where it cause's pecking of eggs, and I'm currently raising a new batch of pullets and they were laying all over the coop until I got the golf balls in the nest boxes. Within 3 days they were all using the boxes.

While I agree the bait can help encourage the pullets to lay where you want, it won't effect when they lay. You can bait all you want, but they won't lay until they're physically ready.

2 points , I've been using golf balls for years and never seen where it cause's pecking of eggs, and I'm currently raising a new batch of pullets and they were laying all over the coop until I got the golf balls in the nest boxes. Within 3 days they were all using the boxes.
Same here....it's like magic.

While I agree the bait can help encourage the pullets to lay where you want, it won't effect when they lay. You can bait all you want, but they won't lay until they're physically ready.
Absolutely!

Back
Top Bottom