17 Years
Dec 26, 2006
California - SF East Bay
My Coop
My Coop
----------------UPDATE--------------------

All chicks have found good homes!

----------------------------------------------

I'm still getting all the details, but I received this note from a friend living down the street:

I have a friend who was delivered (although she did not order) 85 chicks hatched 5/28 by MISTAKE!! The delivery coincided with computer problems at home so she has no Internet. Friends are rallying to help, posting on CL for her, networking (as I'm trying to do), etc. But right now, she's struggling to just keep them all alive. All 85 are pullets (Red Sex Link) so will be good layers.

I'm going to send this post to the friend to add more info, but please post if you or anybody you know is interested and subscribe to this thread to get more info as it is available.​

An update:

HELP! 50 Red Star chicks (all pullets) mistakenly delivered from Meyer Hatchery. Brand new babies hatched 5/28. Free to chicken-loving homes. Pick up in Walnut Creek, the sooner the better.

Stars are "sex link" chickens, meaning they're bred specifically so males and females are different colors at hatch time. Females are egg-laying machines that continue to lay large eggs in the heat and cold when many others slow down. They're also loved for their quiet temperament and soft buff-red color. They mature at a petite 4 pounds.

i would love to adopt one to add to our flock but ours are free range in the daytime. I am assuming these guys will be to small to free range?

Quote:
They will be plenty big enough to free range. Bantams free range all the time!! And these will be full sized so much bigger than a bantam.

Why cant mistakes like this happen to me???
hmm.png

Last edited:
They already took up their yolk during the first shipping time, so wont be able to be shipped again till they are adults.

However, I have yet to see a just 4 lb sex link! I find them to be hefty girls! Hope they can find new homes!

Yeah, Sex-links are not that big. Maybe 5 lbs most. I have a bunch of them, and yes, they are egg laying machines. Mine lay a really nice dark brown egg. I even bought a bunch more this year to be my dedicated layers so I can have a coop of just pretty layers that might not be as good.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom