Gone with the wind

Kmacretro

Chirping
Mar 28, 2020
I have a speckled maran hen who is around 18 months old. Just over two weeks ago she started to lay wind eggs on the odd day, with no egg being laid in between. She hasn't laid an egg since. Does it sound like she has finished her egg laying cycle already? I think she's a little young to have stopped laying altogether. Or does it sound like there may be another issue? I have two other hens of the same age who have continued to lay with no change in the weights or quality. I'd love to hear your thoughts. Thank you.

Hello and welcome to BYC.

What season of the year is it where you are?

18 months is a likely time for a first molt, though that's more likely if it's your autumn rather than your spring.

Other than not laying, does she seem healthy?
Hello, we are currently in Spring, its a chilly spring though. She had her molt in Autumn already and was fine after. Yes, she seems ok and is eating normally and her faeces seem normal (as normal as hen poo can be). I'm just a little puzzled.

Yes. Sometimes you get a hen that never lays, never lays well, or has a short laying life.
Well hopefully she will live a happy life, she's my little special hen and I'm very fond of her. She's not going anywhere.

Here she is today, bless.
183610594_488385675927702_4693266767816321135_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom