gone without a clue.

As a cat lover, thank you. I've had cats all my life ... indoor only. I know they can wreak havoc on the bird population, but I keep them indoors for their own safety. Win/win.
thank you as a responsible cat owner. I think it's obvious the owner of the cat for the OP's problem is not responsible.

As a cat lover, thank you. I've had cats all my life ... indoor only. I know they can wreak havoc on the bird population, but I keep them indoors for their own safety. Win/win.

My three cats are indoor/outdoor and are kept in at night due to coyotes in the area. They are bird friendly and don't bother my birds. One of my geese likes to give one of my cats a hard time.

But I do have a feral cat in the neighborhood. He pretty much sticks to the perimeter of the yard and has not interacted with my domestic cats. Since my birds are protected I do not worry about him getting to them. He has been severely injured at some point and is basically three legged (front right looks crooked and he doesn't use it). This feral is a true survivor to have stayed alive this long (almost a year) and since he has been no trouble I let him be. I have (unfortunately) had to have a feral humanly dispatched because it was a threat to both my livestock and domestic cats. I felt terrible but had to be done. The friendlier cats get taken to shelters. My neighborhood seems to be a dumping ground for unwanted cats. I've kept two of them after a full vet checkup, worming, shots, and neutering.

thank you as a responsible cat owner. I think it's obvious the owner of the cat for the OP's problem is not responsible.

I know I'm in the minority as an indoor cat owner. But I could not live with myself if one of my cats got hit by a car or taken by a coyote. My vet says the average life span of an outdoor cat is less than five years. An indoor cat, 10-12.

My three cats are indoor/outdoor and are kept in at night due to coyotes in the area. They are bird friendly and don't bother my birds. One of my geese likes to give one of my cats a hard time.

But I do have a feral cat in the neighborhood. He pretty much sticks to the perimeter of the yard and has not interacted with my domestic cats. Since my birds are protected I do not worry about him getting to them. He has been severely injured at some point and is basically three legged (front right looks crooked and he doesn't use it). This feral is a true survivor to have stayed alive this long (almost a year) and since he has been no trouble I let him be. I have (unfortunately) had to have a feral humanly dispatched because it was a threat to both my livestock and domestic cats. I felt terrible but had to be done. The friendlier cats get taken to shelters. My neighborhood seems to be a dumping ground for unwanted cats. I've kept two of them after a full vet checkup, worming, shots, and neutering.

I live on six acres and am surrounded by rural area. We have lots of 'dropped off' animals here, too. I volunteer at our local Humane Society, so I see what can happen to cats and dogs that aren't properly cared for. IMO, it's criminal to mistreat or neglect animals (not to mention that there is something wrong in the head with people who do) and I would gladly 'have a discussion' with neglectful pet owners if the opportunity arose. Like I said in the thread 'state a fact about yourself' ... I like animals better than most people.

I know I'm in the minority as an indoor cat owner. But I could not live with myself if one of my cats got hit by a car or taken by a coyote. My vet says the average life span of an outdoor cat is less than five years. An indoor cat, 10-12.

It's why I love being able to live in the country on a dead end dirt road so I don't have to worry about cars. Cat's are in at dusk to keep safe from coyotes. My oldest indoor/outdoor cat will turn 13 this spring.

It's why I love being able to live in the country on a dead end dirt road so I don't have to worry about cars. Cat's are in at dusk to keep safe from coyotes. My oldest indoor/outdoor cat will turn 13 this spring.

I live on a dead end road also. However, it's paved and there are some houses beyond mine. We have coyotes and bobcats here. We've seen both during the day and several times within 25 feet of the house. While I love wildlife, I'd rather they stay a little farther away. Our neighbor about a half mile away has goats and sheep, and he woke up one morning to find a cougar feasting on one of his sheep.

Last edited:
My girls are free range in our small fenced back yard. I'm not a cat person by any means but I couldn't kill her. She hasn't killed any birds yet. Animal control won't do anything with cats here. Ive called multiple times bc the number of cats running loose in this neighborhood is honestly ridiculous. Coyotes take care of them eventually when they get in the field behind us. I'm torn, I want the thing gone for the safety of my hens, but she is someone's pet even tho they are terrible owners.

Back
Top Bottom