gonna try the cornish X

mxpres

Songster
11 Years
Jan 21, 2009
Lenoir,NC
I found the cornish X today and decided on trying my luck with them,I been undecided about what to get but finally decided to try the cornish,gonna start with 8 chicks and see how it works out for me,I have read everything I can find about this type and their are so may different thoughts I decided to see if it was my thing or not,their under the brooder lite at this time,I probably will lose one or two before processing time,but I will know if this is the bird for me,I didn,t want to get into something i would regret,I enjoy my chickens but don,t want to be a slave to them,so I decided that eight would be a good beginning,if i like the results i will get more,I am interested in meat more than show or eggs,

I love the Cornish X for meat. I have 12 chicks right now and more coming next week. Good luck and you're right to start small and work your way up

You shouldn't become a slave to them at all, as a matter of fact, you will spend less time (or at least I do) with then then laying hens.

I know my cornish are far one reason and one reason only and that is for the frying pan and the grill.

I probably spend a total of 15 minutes a day with the cornish.
A few minutes in the morning and evening to feed and change water and few seconds to make sure there are no spraddle legs or any other condition that requires culling.

Good luck, they are great meat birds. They are the eating-est, pooping-est, spotty feather growing-est chickens I've ever seen. My wife was worried we would get attached to them, but we didn't. They are like some kind of a Frankensteinian experiment. I have to say that they are an incredible cross. No drugs, no steroids, just God given genetics. We kill ours at about 10 weeks and our Sunday baking hens feed 2 adults, a 16 year old boy and a 14 year old girl with left overs. That's a lot of chicken!

Yea, 6 weeks and freedom from all the chores. Then all that I have to do for the next 6 months is go to freezer camp to invite a Cornish X to cocktails and dinner . I can live with that. What a deal !!!

Its good you only got a few. Take it all in stride and you should do fine. They are easy to raise and very rewarding. There is lots of information on this board. Good luck and keep us posted. Just some advice... write everything down, take notes,.....it pays off the next time you do it again.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom