Good "average" temperature?

Jeffross1968

Songster
8 Years
May 14, 2011
Smoky Mountains
It's obvious that my LG is going to have temperature swings, and apparently it has to do with the room temperature. No way around it. Even though we keep the house in right zone for the LG to work, it does go back and forth from the top of the zone to the bottom, between day and night. Just upgraded our thermometer/hygrometer. The good thing is that after 5 days, the humidity is holding great.

So, since the temp goes up during the day, and down at night, I'm thinking it might be best for me to decide on an average temperature. It's a still air, so I've been shooting for 101. But that means I'll see temps peaking at 102 for a couple hours, and down to 100 for a couple hours. Acceptable?

I used to have it sitting on a 5 gallon bucket up off the floor, but have since put it on the floor on top of a folded towel. Temps have stopped swinging so easily, but they still do. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

I've seen a research that said that when a hen incubates the eggs, the eggs sometimes reach a temperature of 102 and sometimes 98, so it sounds very reasonable to me. (remember that in a still air incubator the actual temperature of the egg is lower than what is measured on its top). However, if your thermometer isn't accurate and actual temperature reaches 104, it starts being a problem.

Its the nature of the beast, The LG., I have had one in the past & no plans to have one in anymore, its just a plain simple fact, thats what they do, not trying to down your setup but I here the same problems all the time about these things, Right now Brinsea has there Eco 20 on sale for $109 without the turner & about $170 with the turner, thats a good price & Im going to be getting one here soon, Good luck, again not trying to upset anyone this is just my openion on the LG. & my expernce with it.

Quote:
No, it's ok. It was a cheap way to get started. After Christmas, next year, I'm going to build a good one. We've done two hatches so far. The first was a 100% hatch for fertilized eggs. They were our eggs from our flock. Second wasn't so good. Though we had 4 of 6 (if I remember correctly) of our own eggs, only 3 out of 18 shipped Turken's hatched, most having died during lock down. I do believe that most of that was my fault though. I was struggling to keep the humidity where it should be, and was constantly opening the bator...so not really a lock down at all. Pretty sure it was my old thermometer/hygrometer. I've since upgraded and will leave the darn thing alone for this hatch, which is 9 of our own eggs. We'll see how it goes....

I bought an LG with a fan for my first incubator with an egg turner as I wasn't sure if I was going to incubate more than once. (I know there are a lot of LG haters on BYC) and I have had many successful hatches. The price was right since I wasn't sure what I was getting into and I was pretty sure I could sell it and recoup most of my expense.

Back
Top Bottom