Good Backyard Flock?

Sounds like a good mix...but your missing ORPINGTONS!
thumbsup.gif

My Leghorns used to be "flighty" chickens that ran/flapped away from me. Now they chase after me the same as my RIR and Redsexlink --- they just took longer to figure out who had the treats. They seem to talk a lot about their egg laying, but generally aren't loud the rest of the time. They try to roost in trees, and will go over the fence, until I clipped their wings feathers - and they're harder to catch because of aforementioned flightyness. I didn't like them at all until they finally got tame enough to follow me around - but I still can't catch them if they escape. I don't think I will intentionally be getting anymore Leghorns. I just don't like them as much as my dual purpose birds and I don't find that they really lay enough better to justify keeping them. Plus, there's not much meat there if you intend to eat them later.

I don't have any of the other breeds on your list.

I will say that I am happy with my RIR rooster, I really like my Blacksexlink babies so far, and my Redsexlink, Queenie is the tamest and smartest of all my chickens which gets her into trouble (for example: she's the only one who knows how to work the doggy door) and she escapes the most DESPITE the fact that she doesn't fly much at all.
tongue.png
I can walk up to her and pick her up though, so easy to get her back. I really haven't seen the personalities of my Buff Orpingtons blossom yet, because they're my youngest and also lowest on the pecking order.

You might consider Speckled Sussex. I am so impressed with mine; friendly, quiet, beautiful, and the only girls laying right now. Also supposed to be good in cold weather. I also have EE and love them.

Personally, i think this would be the ultimate flock:

Buff Orpington
Mille fluer d'uccle
Barred rock
EE
:]

Back
Top Bottom