Good Bedding for ducks

TbChiCken

Chirping
Sep 2, 2020
Hello,
What is a good bedding for ducks in a duck coop. In my chicken coop the chickens have a concrete floor (its really easy to maintain) covered in pine shavings. Can I uses the same thing for the ducks?
Thank you,
TbChiCken

I’m new to ducks. We used pine shavings in the brooder. Now that they’re in their coop I have straw in it. I have read some people swear by pine, some by straw, some by a mix. There are also others that use something completely different. I think it depends on what your main goal is, what you do with it after, what you can access, and what is most affordable for you.

We use the deep litter method in our duckhouse (over a wood floor), and we use a combination of shavings and straw. When we do our big clean-out, we cover the ~4'x7' floor areas with several bags of shavings with some straw on top. As the season progresses, we spot clean daily and then add more straw and shavings as needed. Right now, it's pretty deep in there! We do find the girls greatly prefer straw for their nests.

I use pine shavings , my floor is expanded steel mesh and stall mats , tried straw it was a soggy stinky mess, i haul the shavings out and mix them
With cow manure, pretty decent stuff once it rots down.

I use 4-6 inches of straw for my ducks because my veterinarian recommended that I do. I don't provide food or water at night, so it doesn't get very messy. And I empty the entire thing every weekend. Every couple of days I scoop out their sleeping corner with a pitchfork - just one scoop.

I used to use wood shavings. Pine or aspen. I preferred that as they are easier to scoop.

There is no one best bedding to rule them all. Everyone has their preference and what works for one flock might not work for another due to foot conditions, climate, availability, ect.

Back
Top Bottom