Good breeding rooster?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Eggette, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Eggette

Eggette Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2014
    NE GA
    Hi everyone,
    Due to my original rooster's decline in health, I've recently added one of his offspring to my Orpington pin. I also recently acquired some new hens to replace my older ones in order to help switch up the bloodline, and I'm currently also hunting some good English hens to incorporate into my flock. Haven't found them yet, but I'm going to keep searching until I do.
    Anyhow, I'm a beginner when it comes to selecting roosters for breeding, so I was wondering what you all think of his overall look and posture? Is he good breeding material to start with? [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    It depends on what the goal is your trying to accomplish.

If you are looking for better laying then mate him to the best laying oldest hen only. Replenishing your older birds with your own known stock.

If your original birds were of good stock then breeding the new male to the older hens would be preferable. If your looking to breed to standard then selecting the best one or two hens for body type from the older girls to pen with him for a few weeks would be best.

There is no reason to bring in new birds for blood diversity unless some problem that's uncorrectable arises in the flock and in that scenario it'd be best to simply start anew with the best stock you can obtain.

It depends on what your goal is as to if he's a good male or not. If for breed standard then try posting this to a Heritage Orpington Breed thread for critics. If for improved egg laying or what have you then you know your own stock and working with that you can pull out the best they have to offer with SELECTIVE breeding.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by