good chicken pot pie recipes?

pringle

Songster
10 Years
Apr 16, 2009
Pepperell,MA
Well I love the chicken pot pie that I buy from the store but want to make my own,I think it will taste better.Anyone know a good recipe?I bet it would work for turkey to after thanksgiving with all of it left.

Last edited:
This is what I do, but someone else might have a better recipe. My family likes mine.
smile.png

I sauté in a little butter/oil mixture some chopped onions, carrots and celery. After the onions wilt a little, I add a couple of tablespoons of flour.

Then I add my liquid, usually broth and a little cream(you can leave out the cream, I just like the rich flavor that it imparts to the sauce) When it gets thick enough, I pour it into a deep casserole dish with frozen peas and the already cooked chicken.

Also, I season it at this point with salt, pepper, garlic and sometimes a little sage. I top it off with a store bought pie shell. Yeah, I could make my own pie shell but I am lazy. I have tried it with biscuit dough but the dough came out soggy.

Then I bake the whole thing until the top browns.

It is very easy.

Sorry that I can't be exact on the measurements. I really don't know how much of everything that I use. But it isn't as though you can mess it up by adding too much of any one item. LOL

Last edited:
I do the same as the above post with these exceptions: I add diced cooked potatoes and cream of_____ soup (chicken, celery. mushroom) and I usually make my own crust with my pie crust recipe..family doesn't like the biscuit dough either.

Also, if I know ahead that I am going to make this I save any left over vegs. even 1/2 cup of corn, green beans etc.

dude my friend made this with turkey one time it was one of the best meals i have ever eaten

i am the only one in my family who eats this i would like to learn how to make single serving sizes of this to freeze as meals for me;)

I do pretty much the same thing as everyone has suggested but with one exception...I whip up a batch of my famous beer bread and pour it on top and bake, finish with a generous sprinkel of cheese when its just about done...dont forget about your game you might have in the freezer...we love deer pot pie!! just chop up your deer fine...yummy!! forgot to say that we dont like the biscuit dough for the topping either...the bb cooks up fluffy in texture just like a bread would...I make it all the time at hunting camp just to serve with a meal as bread...thats when I got the idea to use it as a pot pie topper!!

Last edited:
do you put it on the bottom too or just the top? My kids like ton the bottom so I line the pan, brown it, fill it, and put more on top.
when I am in a hurry I use the flaky style bisqits for individual pies, the trick is no bottom and only half the thickness of the bisket.

Technically, this is really a Chicken Pie. But what a delicious chicken pie! The Moravian churches in my area sell these during the year and they always sell out. These freeze really well too!

Moravian Chicken Pie

Pastry:
2 cups flour
1 t. salt
3/4c. Crisco
6-8 TB cold water

or

2 Pillsbury Pie Crusts, bring to room temperature

Filling:
3 cups cooked, chopped chicken (breasts and thighs, or whole chicken)
1/4c flour
1 1/4cups chicken broth with added Better Than Bouillon
salt and pepper
dash of poultry seasoning

Put one crust in a deep foil pie pan.

Mix chicken, flour, broth, s&p, and poultry seasoning in a large bowl.
Pour into pastry lined pie shell. Cover with the second piecrust. Pinch edges together to seal and flute decoratively. Bake at 375-400 degrees for 45 to 60 minutes. Serve hot.

Can freeze before baking, then bake at 400 for 1 to 1 1/2hrs.

My sister says they need to have a pastry cut-out of a chicken in the center of the top crust. She likes 1 1/2cups broth in her pies.

To freeze: double wrap very well in Saran plastic wrap, then wrap again in heavy-duty foil or put in a large freezer zip bag.

Back
Top Bottom