Good companion chickens?

grayjay11o

Songster
Jun 24, 2019
New Hampshire
I'm looking to get some Appenzeller Spitzhauben this spring and am wondering what breeds would be good companions for them. For those of you who don't know Appenzeller Spitzhaubens are a crested breed and I'm worried that they will get picked on. Thank you!

Edit: I'm looking for a breed that's not crested if I can find one.

Last edited:
Generally Buff Orpington are considered very nice/calm. They are sometimes picked on in a mixed flock bc they are not so assertive. So, that may be a good option. We have Salmon Faverolles that are the most calm birds we’ve ever had, and that is generally typical of them. They are not flighty, they are calm and will allow you to pick them up and generally don’t freak out. They will defer to others in the flock, yet are not low in the pecking order. We have not had Buff Orps (getting some this spring), but we currently have 2 SF, and had another from a different source a different year and all three have been very calm. SF have 5 toes, and feathered legs.

Mine grew up with a Brahma the same age. She’s so much bigger than them but they get along great. She seems to mother them but they do pick at her feathered feet even though she’s top hen. She seems to let them do it.

I have Buff Orpington’s, Speckled Sussex and Easter Egger.
The Orpington's peck at the others and at the rabbit but is the friendliest with humans. The Sussex is very laid back, the Easter Egger wants to be is friendly with the others and the rabbit.

You can pretty much have any breed of chicken with those. I have only one crested chicken and it is a golden laced Polish. None of my other chickens pick on her at all. I have a jersey giant rooster, a silver sebright rooster, a Delaware hen, 2 Cochin hens (black and white), barred rock hen, red sex link hens (2), Easter egger pullet, 2 brahma pullets, 2 barnyard mix pullets...

Basically pick whatever you'd like!

Buff Orpingtons or Partridge Cochin Bantams. I have two of each of them right now and the PC hens are especially sweethearts.

Back
Top Bottom