Good dual purpose breeds for meat?

My Comets are far from flighty and I have to give credit for that to my son. The moment that we go outside every chicken in the whole place dual purpose or not comes out of the woodwork running at you and demanding attention. I feel bad for the person that doesn't realize there are chickens hiding under every nook and cranny in the place when they come in the yard and the chickens see them lol. They will get totally run over by loving chickens wanting to get picked up and belly scratched.

How did the RIR butcher out was it fairly meaty or a little slim? My sister has some and I have had some in the past but they seem more like the Comets than a DP bird.

Well this was a big RIR roo. I would not say he was huge though. My hens are not real big though. I think the Delawares are far bigger than the RIR's. I also think my Barred Rocks and Black Australorps are bigger than the RIR. Mine are all hatchery birds. Possibly if you went with a non hatchery bird they would be better. As far as the Dels, I am really pleased with their size from the hatchery.

Which hatchery did you get your Delawares from, harleyjo? Sorry if you said in an earlier post. I am considering Delawares and Buckeyes. Right now I have Light Sussex, and they seem huge at only 5 or 6 weeks old, so I'm really encouraged. I need to find a way to weigh them at about 12 weeks and again at 16 weeks, etc. so I will know which ones grew fastest to keep for future breeding.

Which hatchery did you get your Delawares from, harleyjo? Sorry if you said in an earlier post. I am considering Delawares and Buckeyes. Right now I have Light Sussex, and they seem huge at only 5 or 6 weeks old, so I'm really encouraged. I need to find a way to weigh them at about 12 weeks and again at 16 weeks, etc. so I will know which ones grew fastest to keep for future breeding.

I had to go back and check emails from my friend who took care of the ordering. We wanted to get them from somewhere close since it was in the heat of the summer, late July. We had called around to several hatcheries in our area and ended up getting these at Cackle, that is in Missouri.

Back
Top Bottom