good egg layers/free range breeds advice please

I think if you want winter hardy that you have to pick a small comb breed. Rose comb is probably best.

As to camo colors, I think the black and white striped are good (like a barred rock) and anything dark and spotty (like a speckled sussex). but I haven't done a study on it.

Other than that dunno.

good point on the rosecombs! we are gonna do a rainbow basket as a lot of the people have kids on our waiting list and i know they'll just love them. im gonna put a label on the carteens saying something like: in this carteen there maybe blue,green,white,chocolate or brown eggs.

i want to do that as nobody around here does it. its all brown eggs. so it can be a way to get people interested in our farms products. im thinking of doing duck and guinea eggs too.

ill look in to welsummers.

my long term goal is to supply a store or two. so i want to do this right.

Just a comment on the Hamburgs and other breeds that lay the smaller eggs. I have a friend who sells eggs and her customers have told her they feel like they are getting gypped when she puts the smaller eggs in the carton (even when it's only one or two eggs per carton). She's trying to rehome her small egg layers since she can't sell the eggs around here.

Just a comment on the Hamburgs and other breeds that lay the smaller eggs. I have a friend who sells eggs and her customers have told her they feel like they are getting gypped when she puts the smaller eggs in the carton (even when it's only one or two eggs per carton). She's trying to rehome her small egg layers since she can't sell the eggs around here.

that is a very good point. how are Wyandottes? and should i get a rooster 2?

Back
Top Bottom