Good egg producers for a small flock?

ORChick

Songster
12 Years
May 20, 2007
Oregon
Hi everybody; I am still in the planning stages for my proposed small flock of layers. My plan is to get some chicks next spring, so as to have the fun of raising them, and the goodness of their eggs when that time comes. Due to space constraints my maximum number will be 6. I would like to have a couple of EE's, just because I like the egg colors, but I am still unsure about the others. I was thinking 3 lots of 2. A friend recommended Buff Orpingtons, and they certainly are pretty, but I've read that they tend towards being broody, moreso than some other breeds. As my main reason for having chickens is for the eggs I don't want to ask for trouble by getting a breed that is known for being broody. These girls will also be pets, and I can't see me getting rid of any mistakes, so I'd like to try to avoid that from the beginning. Does anyone have any opinions/comments that might help me in my search? Since I am limiting myself to just 6 I would like reasonable layers who are also decorative. Of course, the question may well be moot, as I may not be able to get any out of the ordinary breeds in such small numbers. Thanks for any advice.

Buffs are very sweet friendly birds. Good layers through the winter.

Good layers would be like Pearl Leghorns, but they aren't very friendly. They get out of sorts pretty fast.

I went for Red and black Sexlinks. They are supposed to be egg laying machines. Rhoad Island Reds are probably still one of the best brown egg layers but the Sexlinks might be as good if not better.

My EE's are pretty, but I've not found them to be very friendly either.

Buff Orpingtons and Light Brahmas...gentle birds...just cause a hen goes broody doesn't mean you have to set her on eggs but she will stop laying for awhile......if you don't want Buffs try the Light Brahma...and also RIRs are great girls to lay too...light to med. dark eggs....All those breeds have always been friendly for me...

Barred Plymouth Rocks don't often go broody-mine never have. They lay very well and are friendly birds, cold hardy and just an all-round great breed. They are semi-decorative with their barring, although that is a matter of taste. I've heard them called plain, though I don't see it that way at all. I have two Buff Orps-one tends to go broody a couple of times a year, the other one never has.

wyndotte's are realy pretty and good winter layers. Barred rocks and RIR's are also good layers and dont tend to go broody.

Henry

Thanks for the input. The Light Brahmas are really pretty birds; as are the Wyandottes. Greginshasta, here on the forum, directed me to a great site: http://www.roosterscoop.com/cockadoodledoo.html - they are not too far from me (about an hour and a half) - I just spoke with someone there, and I can probably get my 3 pairs of "whatevers" without a problem. So, decent layers, decorative, and friendly would be the main criteria - though I'm willing to not worry too much about friendly with the EE's lol. Well, I have a few months to make my decision, as well as to build them a home. I am really having a great time exploring the BYC site - thanks everybody for all the great info.

I agree with speckledhen, BRs are great chickens. They are very friendly, love to talk, and have a ton of personality.

I have RIRs, also. They are beautiful birds, huge egg factories. I haven't noticed an excess of personality with them, although they are generally friendly and are certainly a beautiful color.

My NHRs are very pretty, quite personable, and very curious.

I've heard great things about the black sex-linked, and astralorps (sp?) are supposed to hold a record for 364 eggs in 365 days.

-Meghan

Thanks everybody. Perhaps I should have mentioned that my family is small, just myself and DH, so I'm not looking necessarily for fantastic layers, just decent ones. I would rather a hen with a good personality and reasonable egg production over one that lays every day, but isn't very nice. As I mentioned, they will also be pets.

At present I am having fun scribbling out my ideas for their coop. I have had a terrible year - major medical problems for my DH - I am using this opportunity to de-stress, and it appears to be working. Sometimes I am a little excessive in the planning stage, but I find it relaxing, whatever others might think LOL..

Back
Top Bottom