Good Evening everyone!

Mamacita167

In the Brooder
Sep 27, 2021
I am mamacita167 and we are new to this chicken/duck thing

Well, i am currently not raising any chickens but my family homeschools (we have two girls, 9 and 11) and we hatched 4 khaki Campbell ducklings this week. We are very excited and looking forward to taking care of our flock (as well as eat the eggs of course ;)).
I have always fancied the farming life and it had been a dream of mine to wake up and go out and gather eggs. Go ahead and chuckle i promise to not be mad ;), but in my defense, I lived 3 miles west of center city Philadelphia for the first half of my life so that was a whole different culture for me and a dream i still have that, fingers crossed, will come true soon.
So far, i love everything about the ducklings, of course, i have a soft spot for animals like ya’ll wouldn’t believe. The only reason the ducks were agreed to by my husband was because they’d be outside, we can take no more in the house XD. Anywho, back to what I enjoy about raising the ducklings thus far is the sound of their pitter patter around the brooder. I really appreciate that i can say “Duckies!” and they will start to peep back at me.
Incubating and hatching ducklings has been quite the emotional rollercoaster and quite the learning experience and i cant wait to embark on this duckling journey.
I found BYC by searching, for anything XD. No, it was great, any time i had a question about ducklings, from supplements to housing suggestions, every question i had i somehow found my way on BYC and found a lot of great ideas. Shout out to whoever it was that used vermiculite and perlite with a double wall to insulate their duck enclosure, i don’t know who you are but you are my hero. (I work at a hydroponic supply store and can get both perlite and vermiculite for dirt cheap).
We did name one of the ducklings already. It was breech and sticky and i had to assist. It was weak and small and rested a lot for the first two days and its leg seemed bent unnaturally to the point it couldnt walk. I decided to name it Jude and we gave her a little extra love and some warmth and the little one pulled through. Two days later, her leg was fine, don’t know what that bending was about but she can run around like a champ. Jude is doing just fine now but she (all of them are she to me until its obvious their not) is quieter than the rest and likes to hang out by herself more than the others. The others pitter patter around constantly but she is just chill to hang out. Eating and drinking and can move just fine just is really much more laid (heh) back than the other three.
So that is a little bit about our story and flock. Thanks for reading and i cant wait to get to know everyone!

Attachments

• 057FA494-C417-45E8-AF2B-43DE05E9A55E.jpeg
    057FA494-C417-45E8-AF2B-43DE05E9A55E.jpeg
    834 KB · Views: 10

Back
Top Bottom