Good Feed For Mixed Flock of Chickens and Ducks

Backyard Dacks

Songster
Mar 27, 2019
NYC
Hey, everyone!
Can anyone suggest a good idea for feed for a mixed flock of laying chickens and ducks, if there is one (i.e. one that's good for the both)? I am thinking my ducks' pathetic-looking feathers (hope to be able to provide pictures if necessary later, but basically just not very fluffy, brittle, and kind of bare) are due to poor nutrition. Until now, they have been on this all-flock feed, this one, and some other all-flock layer feed. Any suggestions?

Because I have learnt that swimming water is not essential for ducks.

I think you have just learned a lesson about why it is. ;)

Contrary to what some sources might say, ducks do not just need a waterer sufficient only to dunk their heads in. When not allowed in water the accumulation of dirt, and debris begins to accumulate over the feathers follicles. In addition, to the dirt accumulation, there is a great decrease in the natural stimulation to distribute oils across their feathers, which results in a poor looking bird.

In the long run, it would be best to get them a water source where they can bathe themselves in. Given their poor feather quality, when they get in, don't be surprised if they look wet afterward. They may need a full molt to regain their feather quality. Gently misting their whole body may prove useful to regain proper feathers.

I also feed my ducks fresh kale, corn, carrots, apple (no seeds/core), celery, 5 grain mix, dried mealworms, and sweet peas.

In my household, we juice. The juicing machine creates a finely chopped or minced apple, kale, celery, carrot or whatever is shoved down the hatch for juicing. We share this with both chickens and ducks. We use to throw it out to compost but ended up attracting unwanted critters. Decided to see if the chickens would eat it. They went wild and produced so many eggs! They expect it, so I wait until the end of the day before night night and give them the fresh goods. I still want them to eat the all flock feed first.

You can get really creative but in doubt to what to feed them always try to research first. Good nutrition keeps their immune systems in tip top shape and your job as caregiver easier!

Just kidding! I don't mind, I like honesty and constructive criticism.
Do you mean to say that their poor feather quality is due to a deficiency of sufficient bathing water? Because I have learnt that swimming water is not essential for ducks.

I just read this and I have a handicapped Duck that can’t walk well. I’ve adopted her and I’m trying to nurse her back to health. How often should she swim? I do have a deep stock tank for her to swim in but I have to carry her outside to it.

Ideally, once a day, although during the wintertime that can be hard to achieve unless you have a heater for the stock tank, so in that case, you can gently mist her feathers with a sprayer.

Hello! I was wondering if a 15 or so gallon tub would sufficient as an everyday swimming source for ducks. They would get a larger kiddie pool occasionally.

If they can fully bathe in it, that will suffice. Waterfowl need much more than just something to dunk their head in, or they often develop problems. You can use the bird in this thread as an example.

Hey, everyone!
Can anyone suggest a good idea for feed for a mixed flock of laying chickens and ducks, if there is one (i.e. one that's good for the both)? I am thinking my ducks' pathetic-looking feathers (hope to be able to provide pictures if necessary later, but basically just not very fluffy, brittle, and kind of bare) are due to poor nutrition. Until now, they have been on this all-flock feed, this one, and some other all-flock layer feed. Any suggestions?

Hello! Get your duck babies a kiddie pool, the $5 kind found at Walmart or Dollar Store. Fill it to the top with water and allow them access to it. Empty it, at the least, once a day and clean it out and refill it. They will bath-dip, dunk and swim around and get out. Once out, they will preen and groom and rub their heads over their oil gland to distribute it around their feathers/body. It helps keep them insulated and warm in the winter and cool in the summer! Highly recommend it for the duckies. Keep the mud and muck at a minimum by spreading pine straw on occasion or make a small cement pad for your pool area.

All-flock feed 16% is good but make sure you supply some oyster shell on the side for both ducks and chickens calcium needs. The females need the extra and will find it when they need it. I also add Brewers yeast with garlic and probiotics for both my ducks and chickens. I've read on here some layer feeds have added calcium which can be bad for roosters/drakes (can cause gout), so get the all-flock feed instead and make sure to supply the extra calcium in oyster shells on the side. Hope this helps you some!

Back
Top Bottom