Good feed for the last four weeks

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by TaraBellaBirds, Oct 3, 2013.

1. TaraBellaBirds

TaraBellaBirds Songster

Jul 13, 2013
    SW Kansas
    Ah, they are beautiful, I like a colorful flock! My flock is very mixed and colorful at this time. I'm glad I decided right off to try several different breeds to give me an idea of what works best for us. All of the different breeds out there can be dizzying though, I want one of everything! I do like my Jersey Giants, I know they are slow growing but that size with that glossy plumage is everything you could want in a bird. They are more docile than the hatchery RIR's but still not as friendly as my family needs! I am looking for a good breeder nearby.

2. SunnySkies

SunnySkies Songster

May 13, 2012
    Maryland
    I happen to be a veterinarian, so I would likely be highly successful at caponizing with a little practice, but I haven't really had time to study it. Plus, the SFH tend to change colors and appearance quite a lot until several months old, so I would hate to caponize a roo I later regret not keeping intact. I might try it with some mixed breed birds if I ever hatch any more of those. I'm not planning to butcher any more birds until next year, when I raise more meat birds, though, so I won't even have any to examine post mortem do a dry run with any time soon.

I also need to work out pain control. I know everyone says the chickens don't feel pain, but I do know that many animals feel pain but do not show it. I can't help but feel birds fall in that category. I do not do ear crops or tail docking because of lack of pain control and being a cosmetic procedure. This is not a cosmetic procedure, but I can't imagine that it isn't painful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: