Good grief it’s cold

proudmommie31

Songster
Mar 2, 2016
Northern Lower MI
What tweaks to your system are you having to make due to cold weather? It’s been below zero for awhile (before wind chill is factored in) and will be for the next week at least. I had to switch from fermented feed to regular for now as it’s freezing rock solid in minutes. The light bulb in a cinder block keeps half of the waterer thawed lol. They refused to leave the coop today. I use the deep litter system but literally the droppings are currently freezing rock solid shortly after hitting the ground. I ended up raking out the top inn or so of frozen poo shavings (cause everything under that is pretty solid) and laying a new few inches of shavings in. They seemed pretty happy to both run through the new stuff and wonder out in the run on the old shavings for a bit. They are still cranking out eggs despite the cold so I offered a crumble with a little more protein in it, they are super healthy but seem a little on the thin side (I’m thinking between constant food freezing, egg production and super cold weather?). No real question just rambling

I feed more scratch and whole corn when it's colder. I also have to bash out my rubber buckets and bowls harder to get the ice out daily. In these really cold days my husband does it because it's too much on me. I also put down thicker bedding, and do more swearing. I can only last so long outside before my hands, feet and nose are frozen solid.

“do more swearing” :lol: I also have a much shorter patience level in the cold.....
You don't truly understand how painful cold is until you're in it. Everything is so much harder. your face freezes, your nose runs, stuff is frozen, and I can't open up some doors without removing my ridiculously oversized gloves. You know if you are a woman with smaller hands it's impossible to find decent gloves? I feel like I'm a Muppet all winter because of my gloves. :th

I do a lot more complaining in the cold too as you can see. :)

I feel like I'm a Muppet all winter because of my gloves. :th

I do a lot more complaining in the cold too as you can see. :)[/QUOTE]
I couldn’t even find any gloves today so after putting on two jackets and hats I just grabbed socks and stuck them on my hands LOL working with sock mittens is not my favorite thing to do :he but it got the job done.

I wear gloves doubled up; the thinner ones, with leather on top. Layers! The birds are inside more, the dogs hate to be out, only the horses and cattle wander around looking okay. They kind of tip-toe on the frozen ground rather than dancing or playing, and everyone eats more. I do too!
Sunshine on snow looks great, and the days are getting longer, and soon January will be over. Hope for spring!
Mary

Back
Top Bottom