good hot day snack for chickens....

trunkman

Songster
10 Years
Dec 26, 2009
Rock Hill SC
Today on the way back from work and stopped at our local farmers stand and picked up a huge watermelon, when I got home I cut it up into large chunks and put it out for em, they loved it, the melon was 24 lbs and I gave them half of it, and all that's left is green slivers.... They really loved the seeds, I'll be buying more melon for those hot days!
cool.png

Watermelon is next on my list! I know the girls would love it. Their favorites right now are yogurt, frozen mixed veggies, cold blueberries...basically anything cold!

just went out to look for eggs, haven't had any for 4 days now, but on the bright side I just found out that they love the large orange tomatoes fresh from the vine!! grrrrrrrrrr... I still love em tho.. This is my first year with chickens, I'm finding out quickly that garden fresh veggies are a favorite also... Not sure I'll freeze many this year..
hmm.png

I love watermelon too much to let my chickens have it, but they do love to hang around for the seeds I spit at them. When I'm finished, It's a mad frenzy for the rind, with my geese, dogs, chickens, and guinea pigs all vying for some. Who doesn't love watermelon? Cantaloupe is a great summer treat, too, and luckily for my chickens, I hate it! I grow it in my garden just for them.

Oh yeah, chickens see gardens as their own personal buffet if you're not careful.
lol.png

Last edited:
I bought a HUGE melon and cantelope yesterday, stuck them both in the fridge until today. Cut them up - water melon i fit as much as possible in a big bowl and then cut slivers of the rinds up with about 1" of red flesh on it...same with cantalope - took it out and dumped bits and pieces of watermelon, seeeds, and cantalope all over the place and in the two contained pens with the neighbor's turkeys and put my runner ducklings in their pen with some 'smoothie' mixed melon so the big ducks and hens couldn't steal it
wink.png
the big pigs.

I dont buy stuff just for the chickens and ducks except what i get at the feed store
wink.png
- the rest they get the scraps and left overs. - but if I know its going to be really hot I will freeze rinds and give them a bit at a time (my chickens only - not the neighbors) and that helps them cool off and a healthy snack.

Mine got cold over ripe peaches ( which they love more than anything), fresh corn cut off the cob, some safflower seeds. Haven't bought a water melon yet but going to the grocery soon. I did freeze a 2 liter bottle of water and placed it in the 3.5 gal waterer to keep it cool.

I grow organic peaches, and I gave my chickens cold, whole peaches -- the ones that had worms in them, for the first time yesterday. They LOVED pecking at those peaches. They were playing peach soccer with them. It was so cute.

I've got a week's worth of them, maybe more if some of the peaches still on the trees have worms.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom