Good hunt, bagged 'shrooms, now what?

Thank you for relocating this where it belongs! Silly me never explored this part of BYC before.

My Yankee Mom tried to teach me a lot of old country lore when I was a kid up north. She took me morel hunting in spring, others in the fall; ginseng hunting and such. The only two genera of mushrooms she and I felt I know good enough were morels (can't find here in GA) and puffballs. The ones I found a few days ago were softball to football sized. Too bad many of these were too ripe - starting to turn from pure white. We pigged out on them fried in butter or olive oil (depending on who was cooking) with garlic, S & P; loaded homemade pizzas and I dried the rest in the dehydrator. Had to throw at least half away that were too ripe *sigh*.

It's like slicing bread or tofu; texture like dry fine tofu ? Tastes much better than tofu. Its usually too warm around here to go decent mushroom hunting, although there are guided walks sometimes in the fall at the State Botanical Garden. Saw a lot of boletes, but I don't know them well enough. The window of mushrooming is passed again, unless we have another cool spell with rain.

Mine were the hourglass rough ones like Imps' photo, not the shiny white ones like journey's. THanks, ya'll!

Back
Top Bottom