Good investment?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by farmerkylie, Oct 8, 2014.

1. farmerkylie

farmerkylie Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2014
    I want to buy around 60 chicks this month then sell them next spring about when they are going to lay eggs. Would it be a good investment or just a waste of money because of food costs to keep them? Should I buy more/less. Anyone's opinions help! Thank you guys.

2. nayeli

nayeli Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2014
    Waste of money. In most areas pullets don't sell for more than $20 (at least where I am), usually they are closer to $10-$15 when you consider your time, effort, stinkage, and food... It doesn't seem that worth it.
    Many people also prefer to buy chicks. If you want I think you should shop Ideal.. wait for one of their really good specials when you can get chicks for like $1 then resell the chicks for $4 or whatever and raise whichever ones don't sell as chicks and sell them as pullets!

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    It's going to depend on your local market and feed prices. I get $20 for my point of lay pullets, but it can take a few weeks to sell them at that price. I see folks on my local CL advertise them for $8-10 each, but I refuse to lose money like that. I don't know if I'm breaking even on the price, but it's a price that makes me feel good. If you want to try, I'd say start smaller and track feed prices. 60 chicks would need a huge brooder and grow-out pen! Maybe try 20 and see how things go.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by