good layers w/good personality???

Any color of Orpingtons are good layers and personality plus. They sometimes are PIGS! But great with kids LOL!

My SSH bantams are aloof with exception of Gretl which she is my daughters pet chicken, tiny as she can be but a very poor layer. That ok her personality and beauty makes up for it.

My
Faverolles are all good choices, lay consistently and meek mannered. I got one bantam gal that just dont stop laying until late fall and molt slowly. I am thinking she will kick back in gear in Feb or March. A real sweetie!

Life expectancy is all how you care for the birds...some live up to five to seven years and others live up to ten years. Egg expectancy decreases as the hen ages.

Quote:
I've heard reports of 10 year old chickens. But remember that the egg production after 2 years old drops off. I don't imagine they do much laying after 3 or 4 years old.

I've hung around here for a couple of months and learn new stuff daily. These folks have tons of information and share it happily. So if you've got questions, be sure to ask. Most anything has been covered and can be found pretty easily by using the search feature.

Happy Chickening

As always, this has been interesting
wink.png

I have BRs, RIRs, and NHs. All are great birds. They all have about the same GENERAL size, but the NHs are probably the heaviest, then the BRs next. I think my RIRs are more a production strain.. not sure but they aren't super dark, and don't have the 'brick' shape I've heard about.. anyway, they are both slimmer than the others, but stand a bit taller. All have great personalities, but the BRs are definitely the 'hams' of the group, and are much more diverse in who they are.. one pushes everyone around, one is always in my lap/standing on my feet looking for treats.

A great resource for size/weight is the Murray McMurray catalog (shipping out now!). They have a min order of 25, but you can just request the catalog without ordering. Lots of different breeds in it, too. www.mcmurrayhatchery.com

Just wanted to warn you.. don't know if it's just my state, or what. But I wasn't allowed to purchase any less than 6 chicks last spring from them (although lots of people here seem to pick up one or two at their feedstores!). Might want to check that.

Meghan

I've had RIRs for 8+ years. Mine have been really nice, friendly birds - including my roo - Ace(may he rest in peace). I have 2 RIR hens right now that are about 8 yrs old and in the summer I still get one egg about every other day. I got a flock of Marans with a roo as chicks this past spring and haven't gotten attached to them as much. The roo is aloof and the hens are slightly obnoxious(always tripping me when I feed them). Maybe I just haven't spent as much time with them as the RIRs.

Thanks everyone about the information. I think I'll wait for the feed stores to get their chicks, I can never remember which month they usually start getting them. I'm pretty sure I will be able to find some BR's and Red sex-links I hoe one of the local feedstores will have Black Austrolorp's to. Does anyone have any pictures that they could post of Red sex-links and Black Austrolorps?

Back
Top Bottom