Good light timer to buy?

sarahandbray

Songster
5 Years
Aug 12, 2014
After weighing the pros and cons, we would like to have a light on a timer in our coop to turn on from 6am-8am and then again from 6pm-8pm-ish.
Where can I buy such a timer? Any better than others?
Thanks!
Sarah

I like to use the old-school Intermatic timers. You can add multiple pairs of on/off trippers. Although you have to wire them yourself as they have no plug/outlet. But since I was wiring my coop myself anyway, no problem.
This is what I have in my coop, purchased from ebay.

You can also get an Intermatic TN311 from Amazon which also has multiple on/off trippers but also has a plug recepticle.

I personally like to use Intermatic as I believe their quality and reliability to be quite good.

As we near the holidays, seasonal outdoor timers I find best for outdoor coops.

They are usually housed in water resistant casings, perfect for dusty environments.

Choose one with the ability for multiple settings.

This is the one I've used for the last few years without issue. (from Lowes)

You can also get an Intermatic TN311 from Amazon which also has multiple on/off trippers but also has a plug recepticle.
That what I've got, works fine.....cheap and simple.
The override dial/switch is nice if you need to turn on the light when it's in it's 'off' cycle.

Last edited:
Aart, I do have a unique situation in my coop and maybe you can help me. I am keeping my coop (12 x 10) closed all the time (just a hen door for the chickens to come in and out) it is isolated and this summer we installed a 5000 BTU AC because we are in texas and temps get very high (over 100F) inside with all the windows open and a fan blowing 24/7. I was worried about my girls having heat strokes while they were laying eggs. With the AC temp inside runs a little over 80F, OK enough of that. Since the coop is closed up, it gets pretty dark inside so I have a 40 watts light that I keep turned on all day. I turn it off in the evening before roosting time and just keep a night light for the night. The times that I have been late getting in to turn the light off, the girls are making a party (I have 6 pullets that act up during roosting time) the other 5 hens are quiet but annoyed. I need a timer that will turn the light on during the day and off at night. Any suggestions?

Aart, I do have a unique situation in my coop and maybe you can help me. I am keeping my coop (12 x 10) closed all the time (just a hen door for the chickens to come in and out) it is isolated and this summer we installed a 5000 BTU AC because we are in texas and temps get very high (over 100F) inside with all the windows open and a fan blowing 24/7. I was worried about my girls having heat strokes while they were laying eggs. With the AC temp inside runs a little over 80F, OK enough of that. Since the coop is closed up, it gets pretty dark inside so I have a 40 watts light that I keep turned on all day. I turn it off in the evening before roosting time and just keep a night light for the night. The times that I have been late getting in to turn the light off, the girls are making a party (I have 6 pullets that act up during roosting time) the other 5 hens are quiet but annoyed. I need a timer that will turn the light on during the day and off at night. Any suggestions?
Not unique really, you need to control when the light comes on and off....the timer I quoted above can be set to turn the lights on and off anytime you want it to.

Back
Top Bottom