Good location for run???

conny63malies

Crowing
13 Years
Mar 22, 2008
Annetta Kentucky

That's the view out the backdoor,so you can see the ground level
layout from top.
I want to build a 8x12 coop shed(red blotch) with a 40x55 run in where the yellow line shows. Mostly wooded. Yay or nay? Hubby thinks its not good because of the tree , because a hawk could sit on it. I think its good because its not in the full sun and hopefully nothing can just circle over them and swoop down. Fencing will be 4ft high horse fencing with a string of electric wire on top and along the bottom. The goats will get goat fencing and a few strands of electric fencing too.

I would make a smaller totally predator proof run (so fence on top of the run) and make that connected to the larger run.

Lots of tree cover is VERY GOOD, since the raptors can't dive bomb in one straight shot.

Lots of trees is also very good, since last I heard, Kentucky tends to be hot. I do believe that Kentucky is one of those sunshiny states that is capable of seeing 100F. In which case, shade is a very good thing. Shade protects you from the very sun shiny sun, which is hot.

Of course, I know nothing about such things, since most days I freeze, in a very freezy kind of way. However, I did grow up in a very hot and sun shiny place.................................................... I remember the sun shiny heat fondly.

2" heavy duty poultry netting works great for the top.
hawks can't go through it. i put it a foot over in each direction of the fence and zip tie it every foot or so.
keeps critters out to and is fairly easy to put up/
from Ebay

My problem is that since my humidity is so high, the snow sticks to all netting and tears it down.
sad.png

we have had over a foot of heavy wet snow which accumulated 2" on the netting. no problems at all. I would recommend hitting it off with a broom.
we don't get as much as you. But I do generally get snow 6 times or so a year.

I started off with cotton fishnet, and then went to plastic (nylon maybe?) fishnet. But I invariably get one nighttime snow that is heavy enough to tear it all down. I talked with someone in Fairbanks, their netting never tears down since their humidity is so much lower...... The snow doesn't stick.

I am on the coast, so it ALWAYS sticks. I refuse to wake up every two hours and knock the snow off. :tongue

we have had over a foot of heavy wet snow which accumulated 2" on the netting. no problems at all. I would recommend hitting it off with a broom.
we don't get as much as you. But I do generally get snow 6 times or so a year.
We have the same issue here. The ice storm tore down all the nets at the driving range near the Gold Vault (yes, THAT gold vault). My other concern with nets is that they would be weight down in the fall by the leaves of all the trees. Or would they fall through? Not sure what kind of tree it is, maybe a oak or so because of the size. I know there are a few huge pines in the wooded area on the north side and also grapes and muscadines.

Oh, have you looked at my current set-up?

I LOVE my current set-up!!!!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/my-coop-journey
Very nice. Wow on the moose. Where we move to they just shot a female wolf in 2013. In Kentucky!!! WE also have a few black bears around as well as the usual coyotes and critters. I hope the horse fencing is small enough and the geese noisy enough. Told my hubby if anything I'll get a emu as guard.

Back
Top Bottom