Good mixed flock rooster?

Pics

GreenEggsAndHens

Chirping
Aug 7, 2017
Oklahoma
I'm starting all over with chickens this year. We lost our entire flock to multiple predator attacks last year between stray dogs and raccoons. I'm planning on ordering a variety of chickens from Valley Farms Hatchery this year. I've never done mail order chicks, but the place has excellent reviews, and they are much cheaper than other larger hatcheries.
Anyway, so far my order consists of 2 each of barred rocks, buff orpingtons, silver & gold laced wyandottes, welsummers, easter eggers, and cuckoo marans, all hens. I need one more bird to meet the minimum order of 15 chicks, and I want a rooster. My question is what are people's favorite roosters? This is simply a barnyard mix flock but egg laying is my #1 priority. I love rosters that are very showy, but it must be a breed that is docile. I contemplated another Easter egger just so that there is a possibility of passing on the interesting egg color genes to potential offspring, but those dark brahmas really caught my eye, but I don't know much about them. Bottom line is that I love colorful/interesting looking chickens, and unique colored eggs. My hope is that my orps will grow up to be broody and I'll be able to continue hatching my own little barnyard mix chicks.

I'm not an expert by any means, but I have had no aggression problems with my 5 Welsummer roosters (they are perfect gentlemen IMO) and they are gorgeous.

2017-07-21_121324.jpg

When you get the mail order chicks, give them a drink of water immediately. There may be one or two that do not make the trip. Or die shortly afterwards, but I have had pretty good luck with them.

As for ordering a rooster, I really prefer a rooster that was raised up in a multi-generational flock, not with just hatch mates. No one lives in their chicken coop, a rooster chick rapidly becomes bigger than the other chicks, and interested in sex a long time before the pullets, and with nothing bigger to teach him some manners often becomes aggressive.

These chicks are often more personable, outgoing, and tend to be become people pets. Which they lose all fear of people, and often later the darling becomes the nightmare.

I suggest that you wait till your hens are laying, and look around you for a rooster in someone else flock that has been schooled by older hens and a rooster. He is so nice, that he was spared being culled. That is the rooster that you want. Roosters are cheap, and easy to find.

Good luck
Mrs K

Welcome! Ordering only one cockerel will be tricky, because any individual can be nice, or not. Both genetics and management matter.
Salmon Favorelles are beautiful and tend to be very mellow souls. The hens can be too gentle to manage in a mixed flock, but a cockerel might be just the right bird for you.
Bantam Brahmas are really nice too. I've had both the buff and the light bantams, and the cockbirds were lovely.
EE boys are iffy; you might get wonderful, or not.
My few BC Marans cockbirds were nice too.
Consider ordering more than one cockerel, and watch them grow, and choose one to keep. Only do this if you WILL give the others up!
Mary

Back
Top Bottom