Good morning from Carrboro!

baileyghjkl

In the Brooder
Apr 13, 2021
Carrboro, NC
Hi everyone!

I've been using this site for research constantly since we started our flock this year, so I figured it was about time I made an account! :p

I'm pretty new to chickens (as an adult, anyway). My partner and I inherited Esther, an old buff orpington gal, in February and have since added a light Brahma (Kevin) and three Brahma/EE mixes (Peggy and Margaret, the third is as-yet unnamed) that are somewhere around 4 months old now. We're still in the fingers-crossed-for-pullets stage, but the guy I got them from said to bring 'em back if they start crowing since we live in the city limits.

I'm not a morning person, so even though I was raised around and love farm animals I was concerned I would come to resent early-morning chicken duties, but I've found it's been lovely to start the day with chicken care. The coop/run we inherited needed (still needs) some work - it wasn't predator-proof and as soon as we put the young ones out the hawks came flying, so I've also done a good bit of work expanding and covering their run (the roof is just deer netting for now but it keeps the hawks out!). Like a chicken, I love to keep myself busy, so I expect we'll have near-constant coop/run renovations going :D

As for the rest of our little family: I'm in school to get a masters in social work after working as a nurse, and my partner just started art school after working as a baker. We have a cat named June (after Uncle June in the Sopranos) and a dog named Claes (pronounced like "klowse," after the sculptor Claes Oldenburg).

...and because chicken math exists, I've got an appointment next weekend to get some week-old chicks! I've been dying for salmon faverolles after hearing how great their personalities are so I timed the appointment with a local hatchery's next "batch." I'll probably get 3-4 of them, but I'm thinking I'll get 8 chicks total - so what should the other 4-5 be? They'll most likely have blue and lavender orpingtons, barred rocks, black australorps, blue splash marans, speckled sussex, and welsummers.

Pics: 1) our chooks with their fresh mint breakfast (sound off with roo suspicions and please excuse the terrible ramp while I rehab their old one :oops:) 2) Claes 3) June

Attachments

• PXL_20210412_120357656.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210412_120357656.MP.jpg
    864.4 KB · Views: 9
  • PXL_20201216_163236277_2.jpg
    PXL_20201216_163236277_2.jpg
    485.9 KB · Views: 5
  • PXL_20201103_215316658.jpg
    PXL_20201103_215316658.jpg
    392.4 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom