Good Morning from Parks, AZ

eggomom

Hatching
Jun 7, 2015
I'm fairly new to chickens and I love it. Its so much fun with our girls and the eggs are a plus. We have 11 hens. 5 were inherited and we have 6 new ones, they're about 3 months old now. Problem - one of the big hens doesn't like one of the younger hens. Attacked it around the head and a flap of skin just hanging there. Kind of dried, I don't think I can put it back. Should I cut it off? Otherwise the chicken is doing ok, eating REAL good, moving around fine. She's one tough little chicken!
We cleaned the wound and put Vicks on it. Read that here. But wondering about the skin

Oh the poor baby. No not Vicks, that won't heal anything. First you can't put old and new birds together without an integration period. During that time you partition your coop and run with wire, so that one side has the older birds, one side is the new ones. They can see each other but, not touch. After a period of time - they will ignore each other. Then you could try leaving them together while you supervise.

Back to your injured chick. I'm not sure what to recommend, other than cleaning out the wound with saline solution, and then using Neosporin (no cain) . The flap really should be stitched back in place.- otherwise all the birds will be pecking and pulling it and making her wound much worse. In any case till it heals, she should be away from others so that don't peck at her now and you don't want flies laying eggs in the wound. Hatching maggots would make her injuries much, much worse.

I would NOT suggest you just cut off the flap. Please post in full detail (any maybe even photos ) at "Emergencies, diseases, injuries, cures," thread

Hi :welcome

Sorry to hear you have an injured girl :hugs x2 with drumstick don't put anymore Vicks on as this will not heal the wound. Vicks is generally used to stop pecking from other birds but will not help to heal. I see you have posted in the emergencies section and have the bird in the house. This is going to be best for her and she will be need to be kept away from the others untill she is fully healed. Blood will cause the others to get in a frenzy with the pecking. Keeping the area as clean as possible as drumstick said and keep an eye out for infection.

Please do use the look but don't touch method if you do reintroduce her to give them all a chance to become aquainted.

Good luck with her, I hope she is well soon :fl

Back
Top Bottom