Good morning!

still learning

In the Brooder
11 Years
Sep 20, 2008
I've been posting this week and just now noticed y'all have a board just for intro's. Oops!

I am a full time mom to a busy family. We have 6 kids, ages 15, 12, 9, 6, 3, and 1. 3 boys and 3 girls. Our own Brady Bunch!
big_smile.png
We homeschool them all. Its been a dream of ours since the first was only 2 to have a little bit of land, a big garden, and some animals to call our own. I've been reading books like Carla Emery's for a loooonnnnnnng time. We moved to our 2.5 acres 4 years ago, but weren't really ready to take on animals yet, since this also meant a 2500 mile move across the country. It was hard enough just to figure out where the grocery store was, what it was called, and how to get back home!
tongue.png
Dh is the lover of dirt and is mostly in charge of the gardening, and I get care of animals. The kids get both!
lol.png
The layers we are ordering for an early April delivery, and if you read my chicken post, I think I am getting carried away with breeds.
roll.png
We only have plans for 2 does, though. We will sell the babies, as I don't have a haying field and will have to buy it all. Plus, my neighbors seem to think their 2.5 acres are just oversized back yards. No one has fencing up or anything but dogs. So I don't see 10 goats in our future. My 9 and 6 yr olds are also wanting Holland Lops, so I imagine we'll be making room for those in the pole barn as well. We've done broilers in the past and are planning on doing them again this fall. My 12, 9 and 6 yr olds are all in 4h. We won't be showing animals this year...just learning how to take care of them. But in another year from now, I am really hoping we'll be showing as well.

I love to cook, particularly baking. I am so looking forward to looking out the window at my beautiful layers and and goats, while offering my children fresh bread, eggs, and homemade yogurt! Can you see the idyllic stars in my eyes? I have a feeling I am in for a rude awakening here at some point, but in the meantime, I am soooo excited!

Its nice to meet y'all! I am really looking forward to joining the community.

Last edited:
Welcome! WARNING! You are at risk of being perceived as different. I went to Walmart for a battery as an emergency for a daycare; while waiting I was talking about our goat giving birth that morning. A lady referred to me as a goat farmer! I am not a goat farmer! I raise chickens! The goats are ornamental. People perceive you differently. Gf got a cuber and turtle necks for Christmas. Everyone was thinking of necks from a turtle when she tells them. we are also the weirdos that eat quail, pickled quail eggs, frog legs,deer,duck,rabbit,squirrel, butcher our own meat, raise and can our own vegetables, heat mostly with wood. Doesn't it seem as though a day has more than 24 hours in it.

Welcome from NM! You might also want to check restrictions for goats or pigs where you live. Even though when I moved here it was in the middle of the desert and no one near me for acres and acres, you could still only have 5 goats per acre or 1 pig per acre. Horses and other livestock were limited though. Thank heavens,, or my horses would have been disguised as large dogs!

Back
Top Bottom