Good plants/flowers for chicken run.

Mar 29, 2022
Hey guys we are building a coop this spring and I'm planning ahead! Since my chickens were formerly free-range, I want the coop to have flowers and plants growing in the run so they can have some activities ( mine like to hide underneath them and look for worms and bugs). I am looking for some types of cypresses that don't get too tall but are wide so they can have shade, as the coop will be in sun. They cant grow over 5 feet as I am adding overhead netting so hawks can't get to them. I am thinking maybe Ficus's but they can reach up to 8 feet and will freeze in winter. For flowers, I was thinking of Lantanas and maybe some wildflower mixes. What are the best wildflowers that are safe for chickens? Mine are rescues and don't tear up plants (Thankfully) so I am not too worried about them eating them, they just like to lay their eggs under them, or hide from predators under them. I want to make their run as naturally as possible. My chickens used to love free ranging but I sadly lost one of my hens to a hawk, so free ranging isn't an option for them. Hopefully, their run and new coop will be more fun and remind them of free-ranging. Any suggestions are helpful! Thanks!

Upon doing even more research, most wildflower mixes have foxgloves, which are a huge no-no. Any mixes that are safe for chickens? I really want to make my coop beautiful for them.

I will also plant lavender, roses, snap-dragons, daisy, dandelions, baby's breaths, bee balm, cone flowers, Echinacea, marigold, and rosemary + more herbs.

Last edited:
Following for answers. I use tarps and old patio furniture to clutter/shade the run, but I'd love to grow something they would enjoy as well! I'm leaning towards Privet, Hawthorne, and Forsythia, mainly because I already have these on my property and it seems that chickens just adore bushes in general. At the same time, I don't want to specifically put things in the run that could be toxic so I need to do my homework first...

Following for answers. I use tarps and old patio furniture to clutter/shade the run, but I'd love to grow something they would enjoy as well! I'm leaning towards Privet, Hawthorne, and Forsythia, mainly because I already have these on my property and it seems that chickens just adore bushes in general. At the same time, I don't want to specifically put things in the run that could be toxic so I need to do my homework first...
Exactly!

Hi, my chickens free range part of the day but they also have a very large run with some tough grasses that they haven't yet been able to destroy. But also, we planted several rows of lilies several years ago that we inherited from a friend. The lilies are doing great, they love the chicken poop and enjoy the chickens scratching around under them looking for bugs. The chickens love sheltering under them for shade in the heat of the day as well, as the lilies are now so densely packed together that the earth underneath is nice and cool.

Oh, and did I mention? Lilies are toxic to chickens. But chickens are not stupid. If they went around eating everyrhing toxic, they would soon be extinct. When they free range, I'm sure there are all kinds of toxic plants out there in the wild. I can't chicken-proof the world, I just have to trust that nature gave them good instincts. 😉

So it's ok if I plant lantanas in their run? Mine have been free-ranging for months around lantanas and have not gotten sick, but now doing research they are apparently toxic
I wouldn't worry about it. I just don't believe they will eat toxic plants, given the choice, as long as there are plenty of healthy options for them.

Back
Top Bottom