Good price for hatching eggs....?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by cjeanean, May 2, 2008.

1. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    I'm trying to pass the time between now, my next order coming in, and the day my hens start laying by designing a brochure to go with my egg, chicken, and chick sales (The ones I don't have yet LOL) I'm going to be breeding purebreds and mutts from the following roo/hen breeds. The breeds that have both a hen and roo will be purebreds, and the breeds without a hen and roo will be mixes.

ROOS:
    White leghorn
    White Cochins Standard
    White Rocks
    Ameraucanas
    Barred Rock
    Mottled Houdan
    Dark Cornish

HENS:
    White Leghorn
    White Cochin Standard
    White Rocks
    Ameraucanas

Buff Opringtons
    RIR
    NHR
    Salmon Favorelle
    EE
    Black Jersey Giants

My question is: how much is a good price for hatching eggs (per doz) from the purebreds that I can breed as well as the mutts??? I'm also gonna be using the dark cornish roos to breed meat chickens. I'm gonna sell chicks, too, maybe, but I already have an idea about those.

2. AussieSharon

AussieSharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Virginia
    Check ebay and eggbid for going prices on hatching eggs. Leghorns and Barred rocks seem to be about $5 a dozen plus shipping. Of course that depends on quality of the birds too.

As for mutt eggs people aren't going to generally pay a lot, especially with shipping on top. I've seen mutt eggs on ebay and eggbid go for less than $2 a dozen plus shipping.

Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by