Good protein supplement?

lightchick

Crowing
6 Years
Apr 3, 2014
Minnesota
I really would like my quail on organic feed but we have no organic gamebird or turkey starter around here, only chicken feed. The organic chick starter has 19% protein and I was wondering what kind of high protein grain/seed or something that I could add to that.
Thanks!

Generally the most economical and easiest way is to cut in some quality dry cat food...

If you take your existing 19% feed and cut 50% with a good 30% dry cat food you get in around that 25% protein and you still carry over a fairly decent balanced nutrition profile... You can probably find even slightly higher protein content cat foods to cut in that would require less to bring you up to the same mark...

There are of course other options like meal worms, or high protein veggies and the sort, but if they start holding out for those 'treats' it could disturb their balanced diet overall, and some of those treats like meal worms come with high fat content, so you get the bad with the good...

Last edited:
I read that cat food has protein that is harder to digest for birds. I was going to try it but don't want to risk kidney problems. Has anyone seen this supposed problem from animal protein in quail diets?

I think I saw a meal worm thread on this site... they are mostly fat. Otherwise quail toes resemble meal worms resulting in pecking problems....

Huh ! That's interesting. I just fed mine some meal worms and they really liked them lol sorry if I hijacked I didn't mean too ...

I read that cat food has protein that is harder to digest for birds. I was going to try it but don't want to risk kidney problems. Has anyone seen this supposed problem from animal protein in quail diets?

Not, all proteins are the same, but quails are omnivores and can digest animal proteins, especially cooked and processed ones like those found in commercial feeds...

Also there are 'vegan' cat foods if you are really concerned...

Generally the biggest concern with cat food is that many cheap cat foods have a lot of added salt in them, most premium can foods have little or no added salt...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom